Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add/Update Geometry Does Not Allow Inventor Files

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
AMurphy0813
624 Views, 4 Replies

Add/Update Geometry Does Not Allow Inventor Files

Our office has a floating license for simulation CFD. We use Inventor here so we have the Inventor plug in. I've tried to use this fancy add/update design button, but the only file types it lets me chose are .x_t, .sat, .fsat, .asm and .prt. It will not allow me to update the geometry with an inventor file. Saving as a parasolid didn't work, but saving as a SAT file sort of did. The thing is, I shouldn't have to go through the annoyance of converting files to a different file type in order to update the geometry. And if I have to reapply the BC (as folks seem to have to do with Solidworks) it seems like it's not worth the time anyway.

Can someone tell me if Simulation should be able to update the geometry with inventor files if that's the program for which we have the plug in?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tong6
in reply to: AMurphy0813

Are you using Simulation CFD 2013? You can open the Inventor model from Inventor and use the Design Study manager tool to add new designs.

Message 3 of 5
AMurphy0813
in reply to: tong6

That worked, but I still have to reapply all of the boundary conditions and mesh settings. Is that normal? It doesn't seem to be much of a convenience.

Message 4 of 5
tong6
in reply to: AMurphy0813

I'd suggest you clone the design with mesh, BC and Materials setting first. Then you can update the cloned design with the updated Inventor model from DS manager.

Message 5 of 5
AMurphy0813
in reply to: tong6

Thank you. That worked very well and has saved me a ton of time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report