Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adaptive meshing for transient heat transfer with forced convection

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
pei-ying.hsieh
362 Views, 6 Replies

adaptive meshing for transient heat transfer with forced convection

Dear Autodesk Simulation CFD experts,

I am wondering if the following is a sound approach:

I am solving a conjugate heat transfer case that include several internal fans.  So, I want to run the flow only with forced convection truned on (steady state), then, solver the thermal only with transient.  So, during the flow only stage, can I turn on adaptive meshing to make sure that the flow field is fully converged?

Thanks!

Pei-Ying

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

You would not use teh Autoforced Convection option.

You would run with Flow only checked, thermal would not be on, then solve with adaptation on to get your mesh cycles solves based on the flow solution (be sure that you specify a large enough iteration count to get to a well estabilished flow solution (2-300 iterations minimum)

Once you've solved the flow solution + adapted cycles, you can turn off Flow and turn on Thermal and switch to transient to do the Transient Thermal solution

Message 3 of 7

Thank you for the suggestion.  I will give it a try.

Pei-Ying

Message 4 of 7

Hi,

I just tried, but, the Simulation CFD won't let me because I have a baffle in the model.  Is there a way to work around this?

Thanks!

Pei-Ying

Message 5 of 7

CFD 2013 does not allow for any special materials with Mesh Adaptation

CFD 2014 does

You can update to the latest version or change what you are modeling.

Message 6 of 7

Hi, Apolo,

I am using Simulation CFD 2014.  In my model, I have a baffle.  2014 won't enable adaptive meshing because I have "surface parts".  Is this correct?  Or am I missing something?

Pei-Ying

Message 7 of 7

While 2014 did expand Mesh Adaptations ability to support more special devices (resistances/fans/blowers/etc) it does not support surfaces parts. You would have to reconsider that for adaptation to move forward.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums