Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Dimensional Simulations

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ConnorAnderson
2469 Views, 8 Replies

2 Dimensional Simulations

Hello Autodesk CFD Community,

I am working on importing various airfoil cross sections to do 2D (and eventually 3D) analysis on them. I would like to know how much lift each generates in various conditions.

However, getting started with a 2D project in Autodesk Simulation CFD is not going so well. I have .DAT files, .DXF files, Solidworks parts, assemblies, and many more filetypes, but NONE of them will open in Autodesk software. I have clicked the button within solidworks to launch autodesk, and that just makes autodesk crash. I have seen photos from Autodesk Employees doing 2D simulations, but haven't seen any documentation on how to get started and actually perform these myself. Could someone please give me (and probably tons of other people who will find this post) guidance on how to actually take these files and get them into Autodesk and how to perform the analysis once they are there?

Many thanks,

Connor

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: ConnorAnderson

Hi Connor, 

Are you starting with a simple surface in SWX? I would recommend you start with just one surface, representing the air domain, with a hole in the middle to represent the airfoil.

Could you share an image of what you have in SWX at the moment as I cannot open the prt file.

Be sure that it is on the x-y plane also, it must be for a 2D analysis in CFD.

Kind regards,

Jonn

Message 3 of 9
ajay.s
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Dear Connor,

I couldn't open the support format which you have uploaded, can you pls attach any neutral format. 

If I am not wrong, you are looking forward to chose the naca series of airfoil based on cl & cd produced... !

Note:

You can work on 2-D for understanding but with 3-D we might be able to get actual perspective of parameters involved with actual environmental conditions.

Kind Regards,

Ajay.S

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 9
ConnorAnderson
in reply to: ajay.s

Jon and Ajay,

Thank you for your speedy responses!

What I attached was a solidworks part that really was just a 2 dimensional sketch of an airfoil. It is in the X-Y plane, but has no depth.

You are exactly right about what I intend to do with this simulation. I want to first get a feel for the best airfoil, and then extrapolate to 3D to get approximate lift calculations.
Message 5 of 9
Jon.Wilde

Hi Connor,

If you are still having issues, could you share an image of the model in SWX? Is it a surface or just the sketch? You do need to make it a surface.

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 6 of 9
ConnorAnderson
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

I have not been able to resolve this problem yet. I am using a solidworks sketch, not a full 3D model. I assumed that a 2 dimensional analysis would require a 2 dimensional sketch, not an extruded part. Attached is the 2D solidworks sketch. 

If I need to extrude this, how can I then switch to 2D analysis within Autodesk? 

Message 7 of 9

Connor,

Please check out our Tutorial on the 2D compressible bullet (while this is axis symmetric you will get a feel for what is required).

Required

A surface built on the XY plane (not a sketch or data points but a Planar Surface / Boundary Patch to represent the Airfoil as well as one for the air domain)

We do not import opints or sketches. Extruding this would then generate a 3D model which would not be valid for 2D.

From the sketch you either fill it with a surface (for 2D) or you extrude it (for a 3D model)

Apolo

Message 8 of 9

Apolo,

Could you link me to the 2D compressible bullet tutorial?

Thank you for the info about creating a surface! This was definitely a missing piece to the puzzle, as I am now able to import the surface into Autodesk. Once I get the link to the tutorial, I'll let you know if any other problems come up.

Thank you for all your help.

Connor

Message 9 of 9
Jon.Wilde

Hi Connor, 

It is in the tutorials folder here: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Simulation CFD 2014\Tutorials\Fusion

You will find the guide within our Wiki: http://help.autodesk.com/view/SCDSE/2014/ENU/?url=/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/SimCFD/files/GUID-17530C86-149...

Thanks,

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums