Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename/renumber parts; summary & results part improvements

Rename/renumber parts; summary & results part improvements

1. Make part names/numbers more flexible and readable.

• It would be helpful to be able to rename (or create a display alias) and/or renumber parts in CFD.  When they come from CAD it seems arbitrary what order they are in, and if I change the CAD model the part numbers move around, and mess up my summary parts.  I know you can make rules for this, but it seems unecessarily complicated vs. just changing the name/number.  Also, sometimes the CAD names are not pretty or self-explanatory, and I want to show the CFD results to a client with a legend they can understand. 
  • It would be good to allow word-wrap in the design study browser so we can see long part names and BC names.

2. Allow some way to associate different parts from different designs to the same summary part.  Again, this is for when I add something to a model, or change a part in an assembly, and the summary parts no longer correspond. 

3. Improve the usefulness of the results part output. 

• The wall of text is OK for model diagnostics, but it would be much better in a tabular form, and much more useful if it could be exported as a CSV or other data file type instead of text. 
  • Also, make this organized by timestep (or select whether it's sorted by timestep or part number).  Right now if I have 4 saved results, I get all 4 from part A, then all 4 from part B, etc.  Usually I'm looking for the latest.
  • Allow me to select which results to calculate. Usually I only care about one value, and don't want to see the bounding box etc. for every part every time.
  • Let me resize the bloody window so I can read the text! (this is everywhere not just here).

4. In the summary parts output,

• Let me resize or rename the columns
  • Let me plot part values vs time step in addition to vs each other (would love to be able to do this without creating a summary part)
  • Let me show more than one result value row per part instead of having to choose from pulldown list.

3 Comments
apolo_vanderberg
Autodesk Support

Nick, 

FOr Item 2 ) Have you tried to reassign summary parts?

If you're unaware of this, in a given scenario/design, go to the Part result task.

Under the Summary parts tab of the dialog you can right click and "reassign" to move that summary part to a new part number.

This is mainly done for flexibility in the event Part1 from Design 1 might now be Part5 in Design 23-13-2014 10-42-57 AM.png

nhahn
Advocate

Apolo, thank you - this works exactly as desired.  Learn something new every day...

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. keep the same names (ex: Lower TFE, Upper TFE, etc.).

2. have the ability to rename parts as described in nhahn's idea (see above)

Regards, Dan

Image2.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report