Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvement of Geometry tools

Improvement of Geometry tools

As former user of Gambit / ICEM, I miss a possibility to repair manually unwanted faces and edges, comparable to Gambit (merge faces manual to virtual faces). In some cases it can happen that the CAD-geometry is poor with small errors, which cannot be corrected. The usage of the automatic geometry repair can lead to extreme simple geometry repairs (faces will be deleted/ignored), not useful for further meshing options (mesh finer than cleaned-up geometries cannot be used, or divergence in simulation later on). By usage of manual merge possibilities you can simplifiy areas by your demand (I know that this is contraproductive to the philosphy of package). But sometimes, in Inventor you cannot clean up the geometries if required, so anywhere a " manual face/edge cleaner posibility" is necessary.

The basic design syntax from origin CAD should be kept, only in CFD some faces / areas will be collapsed to simplified parts, comparable to the mesher work flow.

2 Comments
ryan.arnaudin
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a great idea. I want to add that having the library of edges, faces, and volumes in the design menu bar is essential. One can rename the geometry elements and apply initial and boundary conditions from the design bar instead of looking for the surfaces in the geometry. Also, it happened a lot for me that the mesh engine says for instance surface 8 can not be meshed and I have no idea where is surface 8. Gambit had the options for filtering and making the geometry elements visible or unvisible which was really useful. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report