Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commas in no. of elements

Commas in no. of elements

Often while checking the final meshcount I have to count the number of digits to make sure if the mesh is of the order of hundred thousands, millions or over 10 million. How about showing the number of elements by separating three digits with a comma? I know it's rather a trivial requiest but can come handy to quickly get the sense of enormity of mesh. There had been times where I have seen my colleagues submitting a job of 23 million mesh, thinking it was a 2.3 million mesh! 

6 Comments
Royce_adsk
Community Manager

This would be great.  Also, I would prefer to only see 2 sig digits.  It is an estimate anyways.

Jon.Wilde
Alumni

This is a great idea! I have done the same on more than one occasion.

OmkarJ
Collaborator
Royce, Just to be clear, I was talking about the no. of elements displayed in the text in "Message Window" at output pane, and not the estimate given in mesh dialogue box which already uses commas. I would have thought that the no. of elements in message window is the actual count because it is generated after generating the mesh?
apolo_vanderberg
Autodesk Support

Omkar - the output in the Mesage window is the actual mesh count.

I also agree that a comma, or a space (some delimiter) every 3 significant digits would provide for better clarity on reading the model size

Royce is talking about the Mesh dialog (on the setup) that is just an approximate and as such should not have an approximation down to the last element but rather 2-3 significant digits.

LKania
Alumni

For the mesh size estimate displayed in the meshing dialog, are you after something more akin to an order of magnitude rather than what is currently displayed?

OmkarJ
Collaborator
LKania, I was NOT talking about mesh dialogue box but the count in the output message window at the bottom. If I may say candidly, the approximate meshcount in the meshing dialogue box is so off the mark, that I don't bother with it these days.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report