Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the flickering in Ambient Occlusion?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2242 Views, 3 Replies

Why the flickering in Ambient Occlusion?

Why do I get flickering in the shadows with Ambient Occlusion?

See this video: http://youtu.be/wgPNc66C6bQ

Watch the big machine. It's an Href Scene. Does it has anything to do with that?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
grue1970
in reply to: Anonymous

you have max 2014?  i'd play with the render sample settings next.  2014 defaults to 1 sample per pixel min and 128 max.  you could change that to 4 min or 16 minimum to 128 max.  also you could try another sample type - such as Box (softer) or Mitchelle rather than the default Gauss.

You might be able to reduce the AO sample settings from 80 to 64 then?

oh and finally, i don't do this much anymore but you could render a larger overall frame size, say 2x and then resample the video down in size.  for examplel so if you're doing 640x480 now, you could try everything the way you have it set now except double the output size.  that increases the size of small details so you get better sampling.

i thought i heard someone say that checking the box "lock samples" helps too.  and sometimes Jitter being off helps.

3ds Max all versions past and present | GPU Rendering on 2 machines | Standard, MentalRay, MentalRay IRAY, IRAY+, VRAY, Arnold
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: grue1970

Thanks for your reply!

Increasing the output size x2 did some magic to the details, but adjusting the sample quality to min 4 and max 64 did the trick!

Message 4 of 4
grue1970
in reply to: Anonymous

awesome!

3ds Max all versions past and present | GPU Rendering on 2 machines | Standard, MentalRay, MentalRay IRAY, IRAY+, VRAY, Arnold

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report