Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : output data type "rgba_h"

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
hgagne
43584 Views, 17 Replies

Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : output data type "rgba_h"

Hi Folks,

Getting the following warning message when using the Mental Ray renderer:

// Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : output data type "rgba_h" not directly supported by image format iff, conversion performed by mental ray //

I have reloaded the Default Settings for each of the renders. The message even occurs on a net new Maya launch - i.e. default project & new scene.

Is there a log or other troubleshooting steps I can perform to try and isolate what has happened ... or should I simply open a support incident via my subscription?

Advance thanks,
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anifex09
in reply to: hgagne

This is due to the fact that maya's default settings for Mental Ray are 16bit which is not supported by IFF file formate. Just change the file formate to an (EXR,TIF,or any formate that supports 16bit) or you can change the formate to a 8bit RGBA.
Message 3 of 18
hgagne

@RROCHS:

Changed the MR Framebuffer > Data Type to "RGBA (Byte) 4x8 Bit" on the Quality tab for now until I have more time to fully absorb (aka read) what I'm trading off.

This must be new with Maya 2014 & MR 3.11.1.4 as I don't recall encountering this in Maya 2013.

Very much appreciated!
Message 4 of 18
Stylow

Have you found a sollution?

Because I'm still looking and I got the same problem here.

Message 5 of 18
eddgarpv
in reply to: Stylow

The solution is to select 'TIFF' or 'OpenEXR' from the "Image format" drop down menu in render globals.

Message 6 of 18
hilaire.gagne

As 'eddgarpv' recommended, .TIF/OEXR addressed the issue. If you need to keep using Maya IFF, changing the MR Framebuffer to "RGBA (Short) 4x16 Bit" suppresses the message.
Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite 2022

Message 7 of 18
swakaj

Hello,

I still get warning message for mental ray render even after selecting differnt kind of format apart from maya iff. As mentioned in the discussion above, i even tried using those formats..bt still the error persists. kindly suggest.

Message 8 of 18
hilaire.gagne
in reply to: swakaj

Curious, does it happen on a newly created scene as well (ex: new scene /w sphere)?  Also, what version of Maya are you using? I was seeing the issue with Maya 2013.5 (EXT2).

Cheers,

Message 9 of 18
swakaj
in reply to: hilaire.gagne

Hello Hilaire,

I am using the new version Maya 2014 service pack 1. Its showing up even on a new scene (eg. new scene -- cube/sphere etc). Were you able to solve the problem with maya 2012 that you used. I never had problem with 2012 and nor with 2013.  

Message 10 of 18
hilaire.gagne
in reply to: swakaj

Hi swakaj,

I originally experienced the issue on Maya 2013.5 and in Maya 2014 SP0.  Just created a new scene with a Poly Sphere, went to the Render Settings and using the Presets menu, I performed a Load Presets > Default Settings for all of the renders (Software, Hardware, Mental Ray, etc.)

- On the Common tab, the image format is .IFF

- On the Mental Ray Quality tab, I set the Framebuffer Data Type to RGBA (Short) 4x16

I do not get the warning when rendering the scene using the PERSP camera.  Changing the Framebuffer Data Type to RGBA (Half) 4x16 causes the warning to appear. 

IIRC, Maya .IFF supports up to 16-bit and you would need to use a different image format for 32-bit (ex: OpenEXR).  I suspect that RGBA (Half) 4x16 (aka RGBA_H) isn't supported in the Maya .IFF format.  I can't be certain for sure, but I also believe the .TIF implementation is also max 16-bit ... maybe a seasoned Maya user can confirm this to be true.

Hope that helps,

Message 11 of 18
swakaj
in reply to: hilaire.gagne

Hi Hilaire, 

Yes you are right, changing the framebuffer to Data Type to RGBA (Short) 4x16 solves the problem, Even if one selects any other framebuffer instead of  framebuffer Data Type to RGBA (Half) 4x16. 

Its just framebuffer Data Type to RGBA (Half) 4x16 that is  creating the warning to appear. 

I normally keep the file format to png insead of .IFF

No one seems to have pointed to the unsupportability of RGBA (Half) 4x16 (aka RGBA_H) isn't supported in the Maya .IFF format

Or now they want all to know and use more of OpenExr formats.

Anyways thanks.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Message 12 of 18

I was running into the same problem. Your method turns off the warning but I'm still having troubles getting my render to output with a transparent Alpha channel. Thanks for the tips!
Message 13 of 18
pvonishere
in reply to: j.alexis.adam

Located this thread when I ran into the same issue all of the sudden in Maya 2014.  Then to confirm the same issue popped up in 2015 as well. Please forgive my lack of phrasing properly as I am a student and new to 3d software as of 9 months ago.

However, I use Mental Ray, Raytracing, ambient occlussions, and even can make phy sun and sky work correctly.  The two solutions for the issue I found is to change the light to a directional type.  The other method is under your light attributes there is a special field for mental ray and it has a box for area light.  Once selected you choose the shape from a drop down box beneath it.

This may not be ideal but your lights will appear in the render now. Of course Maya does have a share of quirks and it is good to export things out and make a fresh scene if the project gets too awry.

Most of this experience has been on my mac although it seems like a cross platform issue.

Message 14 of 18
dieterhm
in reply to: pvonishere

Hi,

I am having the same problem when I try to render with mental ray, but all the solutions above didn't work for me. I am using the latest version of Maya(2016), in a good workstation and I don't know what else can I do... I thank you in advance for the attention!

Message 15 of 18
_sebastian_f
in reply to: dieterhm

what settings did you set in your primary framebuffer and what image format are you rendering?

the suggestions here work fine for me in maya 2016. you just have to choose a format which supports the framebuffer type or change the framebuffer according your file format settings to supress this warning. in any case it´s just a warning so if you don´t need 16 or 32 bit images you can just ignore it. it doesn´t do anything bad to your render.
Message 16 of 18
Prathamesh1989

openEXR helps me

Message 17 of 18
sirlynn
in reply to: Prathamesh1989

@Prathamesh1989 wrote:

openEXR helps me

I did this and I no longer get the error message but my renders are black. Even with lights witout shadows.  No such problem with maya software.  The same file renders correctly in maya 2015.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Message 18 of 18
ameyapitale

I had the same problem with my MAYA 2016 version. All I did was, I installed 'DirectX'. Install the version which is compatible with your OS system. I am sure this will work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report