Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV Mapping texture issues!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
451 Views, 2 Replies

UV Mapping texture issues!

Ok I'm really confused about UV mapping.

But I'm trying to texture a tree with my psd file. I get the texture onto the tree normally but when I try to use ANY mapping it changes my texture to a checker pattern. The checker pattern keeps changing the psd file texture to a checker shader.

I think I was messing with UV and made that checker pattern my perminant image for UV mapping. I dunno I really need help with this!!!!

I posted screenshots of what I'm trying to do. I was trying to cylinder map the texture so it wouldn't be stretched out.

Screen Shot 1

Screen Shot 3

Screen Shot 20

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

The shader can only have one texture, if the PSD is in your color channel then that's what you want, just delete the checker pattern you accidentally attached to the color channel.

Open the hypeshade and delete the checker and reassign the PSd.

Message 3 of 3
whisper1
in reply to: Anonymous

I suggest not using automatic mapping.

It may be more labor intensive, but I get far better results this way:

Select the faces on one side. Set the view to Orthographic (front, side, or top, depending on which gives you the best view of the faces you selected). Create UVs Based on Camera.

Repeat until you have UVs of all the faces.

Open the UV Texture Editor.

Line the UVs up (W, E, R to adjust as necessary) so there is no unintentional overlap.

From the UV editor, create UV Snapshot.

Open the snapshot up in photoshop (or whatever), and place the images so that you have what you want where the UVs are.

Save the file as a jpg.

Select your object in Maya. Rt click "Assign new material". Assign the image as the color of that material.

Adjust UVs in the UV editor as needed.

Yes, it will take time, but I find it a lot more efficient than hoping the automatic settings get it right.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report