Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is the problem when rendering the normal bump effect.

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
kjm00006
1037 Views, 1 Reply

There is the problem when rendering the normal bump effect.

Hello! Members!

I knew there is a problem with my modeling,
"Warframe modeling" and "The Elder Scrolls Skyrim Character Modeling" There were also problems.
(Bottom photo)
I asked the gamma / LUT settings, but it's a feature that improves contrast values.

The game engine to render a crisp without borders.
However, in 3ds max "Preferences", "mental ray" are like that when rendering.

For over 7 years this one is no clear answer to this problem.

How do I solve this problem?
(No avail Edit.normal.)

1.jpg2.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hello kjm00006,

I believe that you are correct in that the Gamma/Lut settings are causing this issue on your normal map.  The gamma/lut settings will override the gamma for your maps when they are input into a material, however for certain types of maps (especially normal and alpha maps) this is not a desirable change to the texture color space.  You'll want to do the following for normal maps when you input them to fix this issue.  (Also, please note that just because the preview window shows the map gamma getting brighter, you can ignore that.  It should render fine.)

1)  Go to the normal map slot, and click to open the browse window.

2)  Override your gamma to 1.0 on your normal map.

I've highlighted this below for your convenience.

Normal_Override.png

This should solve the issue, if I am understanding you correctly.  If this does not solve your issue, it would be very helpful if you could attach a small section of your model and the normal map and I'd be happy to take a closer look. 

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report