Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straighten Selection stretches UVs

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
11723 Views, 2 Replies

Straighten Selection stretches UVs

It's a problem I always had and never found a way or a script to solve, it's very annoying! Everytime I use Straighten Selection on 3Ds Max (2014 and 2015) UV editor it stretches the UVs and I have to manually redo. Isn't there a way of making Straighten Selection "respect" the relaxed UVs?

Here is the relaxed uvs, it's a cylinder kind of shape (I turned on "show edge distortion" so you have a better view of the problem):

Snap 2014-09-12 at 14.44.32.png

Here is the same uvs with straighten selection applied. As you can see it's stretching a lot the center part of the mesh:

Snap 2014-09-12 at 14.44.44.png

After I have to manually redo, so it looks like this:

Snap 2014-09-12 at 14.45.32.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ekahennequet
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. "Unfold Strip From Loop" tool does a better job at maintaining UV proportions than Straighten tool, imo.  As I mention in the attached pic, you must have a detached group of polys to do this. If your UVs share edges with another UV cluster, then Unfold Strip will straighten other parts of your model's UVs as well, and you may not want this. Also, it will scale your UV cluster and may need to re-scale it after. Try it on a copy object before you commit to using this tool.

1. Collpase your stack.

2. In sub-object Edit Poly, select a group of polys and detach as Element if they aren't already.

3. Apply Unwrap. In sub-obj UV Edge mode, select the outermost edge and choose Edge Loop (or double click edge in UV Editor).

4. Choose "Unfold Strip From Loop" in modifiy panel under Wrap Rollout.

See attached pic. (Sorry about the typo and messy notes.)

Capture.JPG

Message 3 of 3
guymils
in reply to: ekahennequet

Unfortunately for me, this crashes my 3ds Max every time. 😞

I have put a support ticket in for this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report