Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering Performance Factors

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
821 Views, 10 Replies

Rendering Performance Factors

Hello experts ,

I've searched everywhere but couldn't find a clear answer for my question , So I've decided to come to the experts area looking for the answer. So I hope that you can help me .

My friend owns a design company ( uses Autocad , Photoshop and 3D max ) and asked me for a powerful machine for fast rendering only , not designing.

So , i kindly want to know what are the basic factors that speeds the rendering process ?

* # of CPU

* Speed of CPU

* CPUs L2 Cache

* # of Cores per CPU

* # of Threads per CPU

* Amount of RAM

* The use of SSD HDD over SATA

* Nvidia Tesla or Quadro Card ?

Appreciating your help.

Many Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. You need to tell us what renderer he'll be using. Is it a GPU renderer or a CPU renderer? If it's a GPU renderer it's mostly about the graphic card (how many Cuda cores and how much RAM on the graphic card). If it's a CPU renderer the main concerns are numbers of cores, processing speed and RAM amount.

For more detailed answers you need to be more specific.

Hope it helps

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH

Appreciating your swift reply .
How can I define wither it's a CPU or GPU rendering ???
Regards
Message 4 of 11
PROH

It is the render engine used that defines if it uses the GPU, CPU or both. That's why I'm asking for the specific choice of render engine 🙂

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 5 of 11
gerador20

for example mental ray is cpu well as furry ball is gpu render or as a hybird the new amd fire render engine for 3dsmax is gpu and cpu combine  you can fine this infomation out at the actualy render engine page for cpu render engines you would want to try to get the best cpu you can afford although cpu renders are much slower then gpu as for gpu renders get the best gpu you can afford and also dont forgot to get good quility ram i would recomend no less then 12 g specaily if you use maya and bifrost 

Message 6 of 11
gerador20
in reply to: gerador20

honestly you can even get away with not buying a firepro or quadra i bought the best gaming gpu that amd offers at the time the 390x and i render with no problem at all in a gpu rendering and if he really wants you to have really fast renders i would recomend renting a render server
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks All for your help.

I've visited my firend and saw that he's using VRay 3.02 and GForce .

So , kindly Advise me regarding the best hardware . I'm thinking of the below

• Dual Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2658 v2 (10 Cores, 2.4GHz, 20 M Cache)

• Single NVIDIA Quadro K6000

• Single NVIDIA Tesla K20C

• 64 GB ( 16 x 4 )ECC DDR3 1866 MHz

• SATA SSD 600GB ( Raid 1 )

• Windows 7 64-Bit

will this configuration conflict with VRay or will not be fully used by VRay ?

will it be better to use Dual NVIDIA Quadro K6000 .

I'm confused about what is the best GPU that works the best with VRay to have the minumu Rendering time .

Many Thanks

Message 8 of 11
CAMedeck

Rendering with V-Ray will not use the video card. So you could save a lot of money by not adding in the expensive GPUs.

We use V-Ray for all of our work, and have a render farm in our server room consisting of about 30 machines.  None of them have graphics other than on-board.  They render quite well without it.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Hi
This mean that VRay is not a GPU based rendering engine ???

Thanks

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

As mentioned in VRay website that version 3.3 supports GPU Rendering .

https://www.vray.com/vray-for-3ds-max/buy-vray-for-3ds-max.html

Kindly advise before buying this expensive server .

thanks alot

Message 11 of 11
CAMedeck

Ah, sorry for the confusion.  V-Ray can support GPU rendering when using V-Ray RT only.  This is their real-time render engine.  It does have a few limitations in regards to compatible materials and lighting, and in all honesty I've only ever used it to get immediate feedback while adjusting lighting in a scene.

If your friend is going to be using V-Ray RT as their renderer, then go ahead with adding the beefy graphics cards.  But if it is strictly the vanilla V-Ray renderer being used, then a GPU is completely unnecessary.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report