Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render Xgen Environment over Network with Vray (Maya 2016)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
laura.jolly
602 Views, 6 Replies

Render Xgen Environment over Network with Vray (Maya 2016)

Hello, I am finding it very difficult to figure how to to render my descriptions of trees for my Xgen environment over the network, I am using the rendering plugin Vray. 

Does anyone have any documentation on how to achieve this with Maya 2016? I have found some info for Mental ray batch rendering for older versions of Maya but nothing that has been able to help. This is a rather time sensitive problem, as I have exhausted all methods available to me. Thank you for reading and I look forward to any new ideas. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Michael_Todd
in reply to: laura.jolly

You need to export the patches for Batch Rendering and make sure the other machines on the network can see the location where the maya and xgen files are saved. By default XGen uses the Maya projects/default/xgen location for the xgen collections and uses a relative path to find them. You can also add an absolute path to this location in the File Path setting in XGen:

FilePathEdit.png

You can have both relative (${PROJECT}) and absolute paths, separated by ; and XGen will look through those in the list till it finds the files

FilePath.png

If it can't resolve the first location it will try the second (or third or beyond)

Cheers

Michael

This may help as well:

Batch Rendering Xgen

and this:

XGen Vray Batch Render

Michael Todd

XGen Product Owner and Designer

Message 3 of 7
laura.jolly
in reply to: Michael_Todd

Hello, I've done some testing of the methods you have written about and linked, I am still having issues rendering over the network. Thank you for the resources either way!

Message 4 of 7
laura.jolly
in reply to: Michael_Todd

Do you have any time available for a meeting to help me with this issue? I have previously had a ticket open for this issue but it was closed due to the fact that I am rendering with Vray. I was able to get in contact with Vray / Chaosgroup and they confirmed that it is not a rendering issue but a Maya issue. I have gone through the listed documentation and fixes, with no actual fix available. Thank you for your help, this is a rather urgent issue.

Message 5 of 7
cornelh

@laura.jolly

We need some information to properly access your issues:

An example scene, network setup (which I can't replicate) how many machines, project setup (can the other machines see the project?)

without these it is impossible to diagnose what is going wrong, as we can get ours to work just fine with our supported Render Engines.  We are unable to see if you have properly set all the required environments be it in Maya, Vray, or your system and/or network for this to work properly.  Can you get your renders to work via Mental Ray?  if so then it is a Vray issue.  If not then something is not set correctly.  

I look forward to your reply.  Thank you.

Message 6 of 7
laura.jolly
in reply to: cornelh

I have set up an example scene that worked and rendered over the network, however it is the main work scene that is not rendering over the network still. The file is also too large to archive and send, I have another support ticket / forum post about this issue that I'm hoping to hear back about. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-general/archive-scene-error-zip64-extensions/m-p/6491675/highligh...

I would be happy to set up a teamviewer meeting of my network if you are available. Thank you for your response.

Message 7 of 7
laura.jolly

Oh, also the Mental Ray render does not work over the network either.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report