Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with lighting in 3D MAX

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
stefan.serban.l
706 Views, 6 Replies

Problems with lighting in 3D MAX

Hello, I have a problem with lighting in 3d max, that i can't figure it out. I'm rendering an interior scene and any light that i use in interior dose not show up in render or in viewport. I use a daylight system for light entering the window (that one works) and a free light spot in interior, that's one dosen't work. All lights are on but they don't appear. I've uploaded the zip scene so you can see my settings so far.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Here is an image of menues and the view port were you can see my problem.
Message 3 of 7
darawork
in reply to: stefan.serban.l

Try boosting the intensity of your interior lights x 10,000 (or more).

The daylight system outside usually washes out any interior lighting.

Btw, your .zip or images didn't attach.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 4 of 7
stefan.serban.l
in reply to: darawork

Here, i attached it again. I increased the intensity but the spot lights still don't work. The other tipes are working.
Message 5 of 7
PROH

Hi. Your file didn't attach this time either. In theese kind of questions, it's always a good thing to tell what renderer you're using, and if you're using Photometric lights or not. You say you're using a daylight system, so chances are that it's Photometric. So make sure your spotlight are Photometric to, and turn up the value till it shows. Sometimes it helps to turn of the sun when placing and adjusting indoor lights. It makes it easier to see how the light behaves.

Hope it helps

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 6 of 7
darawork

Check out Exposure controls, number '8' on main keyboard numbers. Photometric interior lighting, boosted beyond real world values. Also if using photometric lighting try to find IES files for lights, and set MR environmental value to close to 11-13 for interior scenes. Sky Portals boosted x10, Mr Sky, boost interior photometric lighting until it shows in scene. 😃

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 7 of 7
darawork

For as long as I've known 3DSmax, since R3, outdoor lighting (or systems) have had a numerical entry mismatch with interior lighting values. Maybe it's proper phogenics or spectral analysis. But it's always been nonsensical. Boost X10 interior until it look believable.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report