Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem rendering bump map with arnold

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
khanwars64
6330 Views, 9 Replies

problem rendering bump map with arnold

hello

first of all sry for my weak english

im trying to achive a scene with bump map with arnold   but the result is more like a color map
in compare of mentel ray
( bump depth effect is very very low like nothing)
also im trying to use bump map+normal map as same as your guide in this page

https://support.solidangle.com/display/AFMUG/Combining+Normal+and+Bump+Maps

but the result isnt even close to what it  shuld be

actully the bump map kill the normal map  and scene will be like a color map

note : test scene is a  poly plane + directional light/aria light+chekcer/bulge as bump map

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
khanwars64
in reply to: khanwars64

ZzzZZZzzZzZ

im waiting for answer

Message 3 of 10
Stephen.Blair

Hi

Procedural textures like checker and bulge aren't working with bump2d, that's a known issue.

bulge does work with aiBump2d

Thanks

Stephen

Solid Angle Support

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 4 of 10
tonylehy

Hope you don't wait to long for free help, in the mean time try a displacement shader instead of bump, Arnold is next gen, bump is old school. Convert your displacement to texture, then reapply as texture with tangent normal's as bump. This will give you better results than bump. good luck.
Message 5 of 10
khanwars64
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

if you pay attention to my post there are more parts. actually those are main  parts

Procedural textures  are just example

btw  even with the aibump2d  i couldnt achive bump with bulge here is my scene if u want to check

note : if my english isnt good enough to make my  point   let me know

Message 6 of 10
khanwars64
in reply to: tonylehy

tnx for help

i  did  😉

i did not understand this part

(Convert your displacement to texture, then reapply as texture with tangent normal's as bump. This will give you better results than bump. good luck.)

what u mean buy convert displacement to texture?  and  the reaply  with tangent normal as bump ?  u mean  normal map ? or i m missing  something

right now   im using a black and white  map  for bump  or displace  and its kinda working for  displacement eithr

but there is some sort  of issue    when  im trying to reapat   uvs   or the normal map and displacement map

there a shift between  here is a example

in this case i repeat both normal map and displacement   uvs for 3 time

left side is displacement map right side is normal map

even some times  scale of displacement /normal map  will change with my camera move  in scene

Message 7 of 10
tonylehy

Ok your problem was that you connected your bump incorrectly. the easy way to do this is to select your aistandard material, go down to the bump mapping tab, just underneath the reflection and refraction tab, click on the add node icon and select your arnold aibump2d Node. Then Select add node on the bumpmap options and choose your bulge. Increase the height and that should do the job. 

test01.jpg

Message 8 of 10
khanwars64

thank you so mush now bump and depth working very well

i was folowing this guide  https://support.solidangle.com/display/AFMUG/Bump2d      i think they should change it.  second bump node will make it work

now only a little problem left 

as i said when im trying to use a displacement map in a very large scale scene like  in the photo (in this case 5000 cm ) some messy  will happen

displacement must be as same as it is in center of photo. but as you see its weird in  sides

Message 9 of 10
tonylehy

Looks to me like your displacement map Uv's aren't right upload your scene again, ill have a look. could be a number of things, but I think its a scale problem with your mapping.

Message 10 of 10
khanwars64

its  a simple plane  i think itsnot uvs problem

must be something in scale  or camera   idk

im using centimeter system for scale

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report