Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB compatible with 3ds Max 2014?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
alexpoulin
1855 Views, 7 Replies

PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB compatible with 3ds Max 2014?

Can't seem to find this answer. Recently put together a new computer. Windows 8.1. Everything works. 3ds Max 2014 opens fine and I can do what I need to do in it, BUT, when I try to render an animation, it reboots my computer, every time.

I'm able to send the file to an older laptop to render and that works.

Are these compatible, the video card and Max 2014? Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue or what the problem could be. Like I said, everything works fine except when I try to render in Max.

Thanks,

Alex

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
darawork
in reply to: alexpoulin

Hi,

Do you have the latest service pack for 2014? http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-3ds-max-2014...

And the latest driver for the GTX770? http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/77254/en-uk (GTX770 Windows 8.1 64bit)

GTX cards are uncertified to work with 3DS Max but the usually work, sometimes after a bit of tweaking.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 8
alexpoulin
in reply to: darawork

Thanks for ths suggestions. I did both, and my computer still reboots the second I hit "render" in 3ds Max. 😞

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Alex

Message 4 of 8
dgorsman

Stupid question time: is your power supply sufficient for the demand, and is the power supply correctly connected to the video card?  Shutting down in this manner can be typical when power demand is exceeding what the supply can provide.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 8
alexpoulin
in reply to: dgorsman

It's a 600 watt power supply, which is what the video card calls for. The card is plugged directly into the power supply.

Next? 😉

Thanks again.

-Alex

Message 6 of 8
eodeo

Are you playing and modern 3d, demanding games? If not, try dowloading this benchmark:

https://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Run it and see how it goes. I suspect that its some sort of hardware failiure. If your PC can run this or any of the moderns games, then it is Max only related. Try reinstalling Max in that case.

Message 7 of 8
alexpoulin
in reply to: eodeo

I didn't download and play the game, but I did uninstall and reinstall Max. I again tried to render a very simple animation and again it rebooted right away. ARGGGGHHHH. Do you still think trying to play the game will tell me anything?

-Alex

Message 8 of 8
eodeo

It is best if you imagine 3ds Max like an elaborate 3d game, unlike MS word or Firefox or Chrome or playing and watching a movie or listening to music.

3ds Max, like a modern 3d game, is very demanding on system resources and any weakness that a certain computer might have get exposed. If you run the benchmark I linked, it will render complex 3d scenes and benchmark your system. If your computer can do that without problems it would mean that Max is somehow the culprit. However, I suspect that your PC has some weakness that are preventing you from using Max.

Lastly, what renderer are you using to render when you get the reboot?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report