Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNG plane blocking fur behind it

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
371 Views, 1 Reply

PNG plane blocking fur behind it

It's a tricky one to explain so I'm just going to upload a picture. The transparency on the planes for some reason blocks the fur but, paint effects act if the plane isn't there. Rendering using mental ray, but maya does the same thing.

png blocking fur.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
stumanchu
in reply to: Anonymous

It sounds like your PNG image might not be quite right....Remember, not all PNG images are created equal.  Make sure your image has a proper alpha channel (perhaps try a targa format and create a proper alpha channel) but in photoshop, you must create an alpha channel for the image.  Make sure you are using a solid black background behind the image if needed, and most of the time I try and keep the background transparent when I save out to a PNG.  Technically, black is supposed to render out transparent in a PNG but it's not always the case.  You can render out the Paint effects seperately with Maya Software Render and compsite later but it's best to convert the Paint effects stroke to Polygons when using Mental Ray for Renders.  That said, perhaps you can post your original PNG image for us to examine.  OK?  Hope that helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report