Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physics Based Blackbody Radiance of Surfaces

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
405 Views, 4 Replies

Physics Based Blackbody Radiance of Surfaces

Hello,

I want to specify a temperature of a surface, typically 40K to 400K and render that surface with a camera at 10 microns. I see there is a Mental Ray that specifies a temperature but the temperatures start at 1000K.  Also its not clear that this simulation is physics based (ie., using Planck's BlackBody Radiance). Anyone done anything like this? Any suggestions?

Russ

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There is the mib_blackbody shader. It's hidden by default, but can be easily unhidden by editing the base_max.mi file.

I don't know how physically accurate it is.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Hi Samab,

Thanks for responding. Who would know the answer to how accurate the Blackbody Shader is? I want to be able to apply blackbody radiance to specific parts. I am thinking right now, the only way to do this is to write code.  I appreciate your thoughts/help.

Russ

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

RAC wrote:Who would know the answer to how accurate the Blackbody Shader is?

Master Zap would probably know, he created a lot of the mr shaders.

Jeff Patton is another who knows a lot about mr shaders, I think I found out about blackbody from his blog.

Both have accounts in The Area, but I have not seen either of them post here in a long while.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

O.K.  Thanks.  I found reference to blackbody radiance in Blender http://elbrujodelatribu.blogspot.com/2013/08/blender-cycles-black-body-lights.html 

This is the kind of modeling I need only at T= 40K-400K which has a peak radiance ~10 microns.

Thanks

Russ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report