Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nvidia mental ray really slow

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
qholmes
1435 Views, 12 Replies

nvidia mental ray really slow

I just got a new workstation with Max 2013 installed on it. I did a test render that i have from Boxx industries and it rendered out at about 6.2 times slower as the posted time from Boxx.. 

I noticed that the renderer listed was NVIDIA mental ray.. first time i had seen that. I have been using Max 2009 and 2012 for quite a few years. 

So then i did a few googles and found a few posts where people were finding render times 5 or so times slower than they should be with Mental Ray?

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks

Q

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
qholmes
in reply to: qholmes

Ok, i noticed that it only had update 4 installed so i downloaded update 6. Installed that and no change.

I tried rendering some other scenes.. Some of the ones that come with it like Troll Cleric 29 etc.. And have had a few crashes. It wont render that one actually.. I can render it on my old workstation in Max 2012 just fine.

Q

Message 3 of 13
qholmes

So I tested another machine. Same specs and it performs the same. Crashes on some standard shipped with scenes. 

Is there a Benchmark scene that i could render to check speeds?

i wonder if maybe the Distribution package that this company uses is not good? Or not good for a higher end machine like i have?

They also set the computers up with preset software installs.. i wonder about that as well.. 

I am trying to find out if my company.. (huge) has some sort of service contract with Autodesk.

Q

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

No one will be able to help you unless you post something. Either the problematic scene itself, or screenshots of your render, material and lighting settings.

Message 5 of 13
qholmes
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes this is true... But..

My basic questions are this:

Has anyone had similar MR slow renders?

Is there a Benchmark scene i could use to test?

Why would the Cleric standard scene crash two machines. Fresh installs/boot?

Unless someone asks for anything more specific i am not sure what else to say.

Q

Message 6 of 13
Stefan_L

I just opened the troll fella on my rig (see specs in sig) in 3ds max Design 2012, 2014 + 2015 and hit render.

The mental ray message window throws errors every time complaining about missing .dds files - probably because I messed around with the autodesk mat libraries which I don't use at all.

It renders fine though, taking 17s in max 2012 and 19s in 2014+2015.

--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 7 of 13
qholmes
in reply to: Stefan_L

Cool thanks.. 

Is there a better benchmark scene that is used by people?

I am trying to get the IT group to let me install my personal 2012 version on this workstation to see how that runs. I believe the 2013 custom corporate install is broken. And i can not load that Troll project at all.. even when i copy it from my old running fine workstation. It kills Max dead!

Q

Message 8 of 13
Stefan_L

Try to reset your user settings.

Try to merge the troll - or parts of him - into an empty drawing to find out what causes this.

--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 9 of 13
qholmes
in reply to: Stefan_L

I reset everything and that did not help anything.. I guess i could import it and see if i get anywhere but i dont really care about that file it was just one that came with it and it does not work along with others.. I am trying to figure out if there is something wrong with the install. I copied that file from my old workstation and it crashes as well. So its not the actual file.

My company signed me up onto the subscription but it seems that does not really help me. I thought there would be some kind of actual support associated with it but it is just the same search engine i have here i believe.

What i really want is an Autodesk person to help me troubleshoot this thing.

And i am so surprised that there is not an official benchmark scene and a list of render times.. very strange. The Boxx Tech benchmark scene runs fine but 6.2 times slower than what they post.. that worries me as well... their tech thought it was just that Max 2013 MR sucks... that seems extreme to be 6.2 times slower... i can see a small margine but that is too much. 

Q

Message 10 of 13
dgorsman

What you have access to in the Subscription site depends on the rights you are given.  From what I remember the lowest level doesn't have sufficient rights to file a support request, just downloading the installers and subscription-only bonus content.  There should be a means of filing a support request, with options for general questions, activation/licensing support, and so on.  Normally the technical support questions are first forwarded to your reseller to get additional information.  If they don't have an answer then it goes to an Autodesk support technician.  If you can't get to filing a support request, recheck with your Subscription supervisor who should have full Contract Admin privileges to see about elevating your level and/or request help from inside the Subscription site.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 13
jonathan.matthews

Hello Qholmes-

I will be sending you a private message via this case number -10253779.

Jonathan Matthews

Autodesk Frontline Technical Support.

Message 12 of 13
qholmes
in reply to: jonathan.matthews

ok thanks

Q

Message 13 of 13
qholmes
in reply to: dgorsman

yes i think you are correct. I will inquire with the CAD group for details.

Thanks

Q

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report