Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal Map from texture. How?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ryoslilbandit
396 Views, 2 Replies

Normal Map from texture. How?

Hi everyone,
I have a basic model , happily textured, and I want a normal map for it. I know how to create them from high poly in zbrush/ xnormal, but how to I make a normal map from the texture?
I want the map to follow the marks in the texture, so the shadows look like they're coming from the cracks in the wall.
How would I go about this? I have a very (VERY) basic knowledge of Zbrush, just how to import, sub-d, sculpt, export, get normals.
Is there anyway to perhaps, texture inside of Zbrush/ Mudbox, using my UV map for the object, and sculpt WITH the texture?

I'm trying to explain it as clearly as possible haha. I don't really know how to go about it, so if anyone understands this, please help! I will sing your praises from the highest of metaphorical mountains.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
damaggio
in reply to: ryoslilbandit

I think most modelers would sculpt in zbrush or mudbox and extract the normal maps and use  a back and white version of the texture as a bump node to apply over to add more subtle detail...so it's like a normal map on the shader and a bump as well....same with displacement, you can add a bump on top of it.

Message 3 of 3
hapzunglam
in reply to: ryoslilbandit

Use either nDo , crazybump , substance designer , bitmap2material to convert colour maps into normal map.   Im not sure if you can still find nDo1  anymore.  It used to be a free photoshop action.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report