Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging similar material after VRML import?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Djordhan
309 Views, 1 Reply

Merging similar material after VRML import?

Hello all,

I spent the last 8 hours searching for a solution and you guys are my last hope before doing the following job manually..

I imported a VRML model including around 480 objects. The original model (which we don't have anymore), had maybe 40 different materials. But after the importation of the VRML, I'm stuck with 480 materials. Which are mostly all the same.

Is there a way to merge the materials that are similar? And if possible, the assigned objects would follow and all use the newly merged material.

Best solution I have so far: Use the Select by Material option to identify where are the obejcts, then try to select them manually cause I can't manage to select multiple objects with different material with this technique. Then assign the same material to the selection. 480 objects is a small model. I don't want to do that manually for the 2045 objects(materials) scene..

For example, in the attached, I'd like to merge all blue together, all black, etc..

Thanks a lot in advance for your time!

JD

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
CAMedeck
in reply to: Djordhan

That is a tough one.  I wonder if a script could be written to analyze the diffuse color swatches in the materials and select objects that way.  I'm no scripter, so I can't help.  But maybe some scripting genius is out there that can help?

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report