Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mental ray cpu instead of gpu

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3613 Views, 6 Replies

mental ray cpu instead of gpu

i finished building a workstation, and am using a really old gpu, i mainl;y focused on the cpu part of it and would like to use that for rendering.

is their a swtich or script to avoid gpu usage while rendering?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Of the provided renderers only Iray and Quicksilver use the GPU - the others (Scanline and Mental Ray) are CPU only.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

ty
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

so when i enable use gpu in the mental ray render, it will just add on the cudo card, and keep harnessing as much as possible from the cpu/ram
Message 5 of 7
PROH

Hi. Where do you enable "use GPU" in mental ray? (Haven't installed 2015 yet).
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH
Message 7 of 7
PROH

Thanks. As I said, I haven't installed 2015 yet, so that tells why I haven't seen this. On the other hand, I haven't been able to find anything about this in the 2015 help files (might be me..)

But the answer to your question is in the article. As far as I understood it, the GPU calculates the GI - meaning that the CPU still plays a major role. Quote: "Its result gets combined seamlessly and automatically with the primary rendering done on the CPU."
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report