Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2015 + XGen

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
husamal-hakim1850
2007 Views, 12 Replies

Maya 2015 + XGen

Hi,

i´m currently testing XGen in Maya 2015 SP4 and i think it is a great tool! 

But i can´t find a way to render XGen on the Renderfarm. The Frames are always black.

So i thougt i go and convert the XGen geometries to polygons. But i can´t find a method to do so.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
tony.su
in reply to: husamal-hakim1850

Maya is not a network program, even you use it is in render farm. When you use render farm, the control program will sent a commend - render scense. And batch render program will be launch and then render.

So your issue is couldn't render Xgen in batch render.

There is the answer, before render, we should "export patches for batch render", and then render is use batch render.

xgen render.jpg

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 3 of 13
husamal-hakim1850
in reply to: tony.su

This only works local on my machine, but not on the renderfarm.

Message 4 of 13
tony.su

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/file...

File > Export Patches for Batch Render 

Maya saves the bound geometry as an Alembic (.abc) file. The file is saved to the set project's scene folder and uses the following file naming conventions:

_scene name_collection name_plt.abc.

And when you render this scene, render engine will load abc file.

Rendering with mental ray standalone or mental ray for Maya Satellite is not recommended for XGen.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 5 of 13
husamal-hakim1850

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I found out that rendering custom Archive-Objects on a renderfarm does not work. The Standard-XGen-Objects do render fine. Why is that? What can i do to make custom Objects renderable on a renderfarm?

Message 6 of 13
tony.su

When you use customer Archive-Objects, maya will load your archive file. So make sure all archive files could be loaded. Put archive files in project( be shared already ), and check archive files path in your scene, don't use local path.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 7 of 13
husamal-hakim1850

I found out that XGen needs see the absolut filepath not a relative filepath. That solved the problem and everything now runs properly on the renderfarm!

Message 8 of 13

Can I know the name of the render farm where xgen works? Thanks Diego

Message 9 of 13

I'm having the same problem in renderfarm, can anyone tell me how I change the relative path to a absolute? already try in Collection>Edit File Path, but not working.

Cheers.

Paulo Duarte

Message 10 of 13

I'm having a similar issue--I can render locally and not on the farm.

I'm using Maya 2016 w/Arnold on animated fur grooms. This is what I have set:

preview/output tab

Message 11 of 13
ObaidOo
in reply to: kathyhuina_li

To change the path from relative to absolute path you have to open your Xgen editor open "Collection" drop down menu and choose "edit file path" and change your path to absolute path for Example: "${PROJECT}xgen/collections/collection15" change it to X:/BlueBook_Pro/xgen/collections/collection15 and you have to do this to all your maps as masks and region maps. and this will fix the problem of rendering on render farm..

And remember that xgen uses front slashes not backslashes

Message 12 of 13
morganloomis
in reply to: ObaidOo

Is there a way to set paths via the python api? Haven't been able to figure that one out yet, the documentation is pretty sparse.

Message 13 of 13
camhozouri

what do you mean by with the archive files, if i transfer my maya scene to another computer should i before set project folder to the archive file

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report