Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material shows in render but not when exported to vrml?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
624 Views, 2 Replies

Material shows in render but not when exported to vrml?

Hi there,

I created a model of a bottle in 3ds max, and used a raytrace material (in Materials -> Standard -> Raytrace, not the raytrace map). Everything looks great in the 3ds max render, but when exported to vrml, all that shows up is the default blue colour as if it had no material assigned to it! I have exported to vrml using "Standard" material with no problems, so does anyone know if the raytrace material type is unsupported in vrml or if there is actually a way to get it to show up?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. As you already figured out, Raytrace Materials does not export correct to wrml. For export to most "exchange" formats, it's common practice to use Standard Materials, simply because it's in most cases is the only option. Exactly what parameters, and how precise they are exported may differ according to the specific format used, as well as the program opening/importing the file.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH

Aw, I was hoping that wasn't the case as I'd just got it looking nice.

Thanks for your answer though, that's saved me a lot of time trying to get it to work! I'll just redo it in standard now 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report