Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matching renderer output to viewport 'realistic' preview [Max 2016]

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
500 Views, 3 Replies

Matching renderer output to viewport 'realistic' preview [Max 2016]

For a current project I have a model set up to render with arch & design mats applied, and several photometric lights in place. I very much like the results of the 'realistic' preview displayed in the viewport, but the output of my mental ray rendered production is much flatter and lacking a lot of the deep AO and shadows of the 'realistic' viewport preview.

Is there a render set up or method for generating image outputs that match the 'realistic' viewport preview of max?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
BenBisares
in reply to: Anonymous

You can generate an image from the viewport by going to "Tools > Preview - Grab Viewport > Capture Still Image..."

The size will be based on the current dimensions of the active viewport so you may want to maximize it before capturing it.

Let me know if that answers your question.

Ben Bisares
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: BenBisares

Hello Ben,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. I am currently using the method you have mentioned to grab the viewport.

I would like the results of the realistic viewport preview, but with higher quality shadows and the ability to choose the size of the image. If there are particular settings that the realistic viewport preview renderer uses for Ambient Occlusion, Shadows, or the handling of photometric lights that I can port to any of the production renderers I can attempt that approach.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 4
BenBisares
in reply to: Anonymous

Understood. I would then say that the closest you can get after that would be to use the Quicksilver renderer. It has settings for Ambient Occlusion, Shadows, etc.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-1EC7526C-A684-4D34-B351-C1B1123615C9

It might take some tweaking to get it to be similar but it is possible. Other than that I can't think of anything else that would be close.

Ben Bisares

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report