Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing the glow in Mental Ray - Maya 2012

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
denison.17
434 Views, 2 Replies

Losing the glow in Mental Ray - Maya 2012

Maya 2012 Mac OS. I have a couple of large glowing objects but only one of them registers in the render. I have tried both the render view (with exporting post effects ON) and batch rendering.

Lets call the objects A & B.  In a full render, only A will register glow in the final.

If I isolate a small section around B in the render view the post effect adds the glow, but when I render the full scene, only A shows up.

It's not a particularly complex scene but it is large, 5486 x 2308.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
_sebastian_f
in reply to: denison.17

first of all i would never render glow directly in maya. i personally would add these kind of effects in postprod.

anyway first thing you should do when there are more objects with different shaders is to disable the "auto exposure" and play with the "treshold". at least with a treshold of 0 you should see all objects glowing. from there balance your settings.
Message 3 of 3
lightstream
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Thanks. Never had this issue before. I've turned autoexposure off. Threshold is at zero. No difference except that one is totally blown out now and the other is still non-existent. Do you suppose it is a MentalRay thing, because I'm not using the software render. 

I do lots of post production, but for certain situations I actually like the "in render" effect better. So far I have pretty much resolved to do that since nothing else seems to be working.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report