Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create a material hierarchy

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
caleb
261 Views, 1 Reply

Is it possible to create a material hierarchy

Hi there,

I'm kind of a beginner to 3ds max rendering, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but here goes:

I'm trying to model a plastic device with several buttons.  The shell of the device, and the buttons are all molded out of the same material, but each button has a different graphic on it (say, printed in light gray).

I have created a separate material for each button, with a map to layer on the buttons' graphic (as well as a UVW map on each button).  

However, if I want to change the visual appearance of the device from, say white matte plastic to black glossy, I need to go and change all the materials for the base device, and each button.

Is there a way to build a material hierarchy, where the base plastic is specified as the root node in the hierarchy, and each texture map is added on later.  So, I could make the change from white matte to black glossy by changing it only in one place?

Thanks,

-Caleb

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Stefan_L
in reply to: caleb

There are multiple ways - as always 🙂
Take a look at the "Blend"-material, you have your instanced base material, the instanced button graphic material and a black/white bitmap to control which material is shown where.
To avoid the "one material per button"-thingy, you could create the bitmap containing all button graphics and map the appropriate button by uvw-mapping...
--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report