Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hypershader-Checker texture

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
daniel
1195 Views, 5 Replies

Hypershader-Checker texture

Hello,

I have a problem that makes me mad. 

So, I open the Window>Rendering Editiors>Hypershade. Than I select 'Checker' and I right-click on it and click 'Assign Texture's Material to Selection' (in my 'work area'). After that (in 'materials') I right-click and click 'Assign Material to Selection' (the object is selected in 'Object Mode'). After this I should see the texture on my shape.

I tried to press 6 and it didn't work, I tried to do the same thing in 'Hypershade' but with a different shape and it didn't work, I tried to reset Maya and it didn't work.

Please Help Me! (I bet this is so simple. Sorry but I have no idea)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pshwayka
in reply to: daniel

I think you may be de-selecting your object without realizing it. This can happen easily when you're working in the Hypershade window.

When you open the Hypershade window, move it to the side so you can keep an eye on your object.  Get the checker texture in the work area, then select your object and then right click on 'checker' and click 'Assign Texture's Material to Selection.'  The checker material should now show up on your object when you press 6.

Note that I omitted your 2nd step (the one where you go to the materials tab.)  You should be able to get this to work as I described above...

Message 3 of 6
daniel
in reply to: pshwayka

Thank You very much!

Ok, I did what you said and it worked but I can only see the 'checker' texture in the 'UV Texture Editior'. I have pressed 6 several times but the texture on my object didn't appear. I need to see it on the object to know how to re-size one part (of a sword) so its easier to draw on later.

Thanks again for helping and sacraficing your time!

Message 4 of 6
pshwayka

If you're using Maya 2015, you can do this without assigning the checker texture to your object.  Select your object and open the UV editor window and click on the black and blue checkered icon at the top of the window to turn on checkered tiles.  They should now show up on your object.  Note:  They will only show up if you have Viewport 2.0 enabled.  The nice thing about doing it this way is that you are not assigning a new material to your object that you will have to change later...

Message 5 of 6
daniel
in reply to: pshwayka

WOW! Thank You so much!
Message 6 of 6
pshwayka

You're welcome!  Glad to help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report