Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to render HD animations in 3ds max 2010

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
julek23
7319 Views, 3 Replies

How to render HD animations in 3ds max 2010

I have a simple animated movement, and a camera movement in my 3ds max project which is 200 frames long (8 seconds). I want to render it, it goes perfectly in a 800x600 output size. But, if the animtation is rendered in a 1920x1080 output size, it only renders the first 4 seconds and the videofile and is very choppy.

My computer specs are:

• Dual Core 3 Ghz CPU,
  • 4 GB of RAM,
  • Windows 7 (64-bit),
  • and 3DS Max Design 2010 (64-bit).

In the Render Stup I use the following default settings: 

• Active Time Segment.
  • Area to Render "View".
  • Output size "HDTV (video)" (1920x1080).
  • Render Output, files, avi, compressor "Uncompressed".
  • Assign Renderer, production: "mental ray Renderer".
  • Assign Renderer, activeShade: Default Scanline Renderer.
  • Production.
  • Preset set to "---".
  • View: "Camera01".

How can I render a video in 3ds max 2010 in such a way that the video is 8 seconds long and doesn't chop?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: julek23

Similar, albeit not identical, to this issue with the same recommendations.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
grue1970
in reply to: Steve_Curley

does it render, but when you play it back in video playback program ( ex. windows media player) it's choppy after the 1st 4 seconds?  my initial thought is that rendering to an uncompressed AVI would lead to a very very large video file size. the playback program might not be able to handle it. typically you'd render to single frames (jpg or tif or png or tga files) then use a program to composite and compress down to a more reasonable file size. mp4 file for example using xvid codec or something...

3ds Max all versions past and present | GPU Rendering on 2 machines | Standard, MentalRay, MentalRay IRAY, IRAY+, VRAY, Arnold
Message 4 of 4
Pyro777
in reply to: julek23

Never render a video out as a video file. Sounds logical, right? ALWAYS render it out a an image sequence then output those images as a video file in Premier or Video Post. (Or your favorite editing program)

The reason you couldn't complete the vid output is because you ran out of RAM. ...Which is why the lower resolution worked fine for you.  Howver, the reason why you always output as an image sequence is because

1. You don't need a ton or ram

2. if you mess something up in your scene....you dont have to render out complete frames. Depending on what you messed up on (say a wrong material on a piece of geometry) you can render out a subset of the scene and composite the correction in your vid edit program.

If you didn't understand that...render as image sequence anyway...with your computer you dont have a choice.  🙂

Dean

Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report