Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

distributed bucket rendering with hdri

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
grue1970
341 Views, 3 Replies

distributed bucket rendering with hdri

i guess this has been an issue in the past, but using a 190mb HDRI file as my environment background and skylight, my DBR doesn't work.  The buckets show up on the rendered frame window, but just sit there until eventually my workstation takes over and renders them.

made sure that gamma correction was enabled on two different machines, it was.  that's about as far as i got.

this is in both max design 2014 and max design 2015 with the latest updates installed.

same scene with the mentalray physical sky as the environment background renders with the dbr no problem.

just wanted to see what else is out there about this issue.

3ds Max all versions past and present | GPU Rendering on 2 machines | Standard, MentalRay, MentalRay IRAY, IRAY+, VRAY, Arnold
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
grue1970
in reply to: grue1970

seems to work ok with a low-res 1mb version of the hdri.

3ds Max all versions past and present | GPU Rendering on 2 machines | Standard, MentalRay, MentalRay IRAY, IRAY+, VRAY, Arnold
Message 3 of 4
grue1970

after 2.5mins of non-activity from the network nodes, they kicked in and finished the render.  the 190mb file apparently takes 2.5mins to load from my shared network drive to the nodes.

whereas drag-copying the 190mb file from the shared drive to the node's desktop takes 2-5 seconds due to our gigabit switches and nic's.  all nics involved were changed from auto to 1.0gb full duplex just to make sure.

bummer, must be something in the translation going on within MR.

Message 4 of 4
grue1970

well this sucks.  now when i try to use distributed maps with DBR, with the map on the root of C: on both machines, max just crashes dead.   this is max design 2014.

max design 2015, it doesn't crash but it takes 2.5 or so minutes to spool up the extra node.  i've verified file names are the same and both are on the root of C:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report