Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DBR and rendering mentalray passes

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
grue1970
281 Views, 3 Replies

DBR and rendering mentalray passes

it seems like DBR is not working with rendering pass files.  or maybe it's just something in my scene?

3ds Max all versions past and present | GPU Rendering on 2 machines | Standard, MentalRay, MentalRay IRAY, IRAY+, VRAY, Arnold
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sdombrowski4163
in reply to: grue1970

DBR has been flakey for me and I've taken it out of my workflow.  When you say it doesn't do the passes, does it get to 100% and just hang there?

Message 3 of 4
grue1970
in reply to: sdombrowski4163

sorry, so what happens is, i'll select objects to render to the pass file, then hit render and see only the buckets from my local machine.  i've confirmed on the remote machine the cpu's are idle.  so in the end i can indeed create a couple of pass files on this scene but only with local cpu's.

this morning i did a test scene with a plane and sphere and it appeared to use the remote machine's cpu's as well.  so i wonder if it's quirky in the scene.  i'm using displacement for foregrond grass and many proxies for trees and such.  it's a big complicated scene.

i think i'll call this one closed since it'll work in a test scene.

3ds Max all versions past and present | GPU Rendering on 2 machines | Standard, MentalRay, MentalRay IRAY, IRAY+, VRAY, Arnold
Message 4 of 4
CAMedeck
in reply to: grue1970

Any time you are using distributed rendering, you have to take into account that 3ds Max needs to push that scene out to the slave machines for them to render.  On a large and complex scene, this can take a couple minutes or more, and your local machine may already be finished rendering by the time the others are ready.

If it is taking less than five to ten minutes to render locally, chances are that DBR (or DR in V-Ray) will not help a lot.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums