Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Iray Render Locks Max 2015 sp3

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JasonMartinIndy
472 Views, 4 Replies

Cancelling Iray Render Locks Max 2015 sp3

I am having issues with Max locking up if I cancel an Iray render before or during the enviornment baking process. If I do Max will lock up and stop responding for the amount of time it takes to bake the enviornment then it will start working again...?? Seems like Max HAS to bake the enviornement before it quit rendering.

That is a major issue if it takes 5 minutes to bake the environment.  I have Max Design 2015 SP3. I am using HDR Enviornment maps but will do the same thing with just a jpg.

Anyone else have this issue? Just throw a large an HDR map into the environment map. Watch to see how long it takes to bake the environment, if it is really fast just turn up the environment map resolution to 2000+. That will take at least a minute. Then cancel the Iray render when it starts baking. I get the thinking circle and if I click on max it says it is not responding but if you wait it will come back.

Thanks
Jason
AutoCAD 2015, 3DS Max 2015
Dell Precision 5600 - Dual Xeon 6-Core / 2.0Ghz / Hyper 24 cores / 16 gig ECC Ram / 250 gig SSHD / Dual Nvidia Quadro 4000 / Win 7 64bit
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Ok, I have figured out what is causing the problem. It is Iray Manager V3 (20140105) that is causing the issue. Iray works fine, it will cancel a render normally. If I open Iray Manager (make no changes and close it), from that point on I can't cancel a render without it spending the time to bake the Enviornment. Even if I save the file, close max and re-open the file, it still won't cancel properly. Also it is slowing render speeds and added more than a minute to the env. baking time.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Just start a new file

draw a box

add a large hdr image to the environment (Needs to take at least a minute to bake the enviornment so bigger is better so 10mb+ file size should do it.)

Throw in a target cam

change render to Iray, set render size to something large like 1920x1080

render with default time of 1 min.

I used a 115mb hdr imported on 32bit default settings.

Render - watch the time it takes to bake the enviornment and total iterations in the 1 minute default.

Render - Total frame time 1:29 and 1680 iterations (29 seconds to bake env.)

Now re-render again but cancel as soon as env. baking starts, mine takes about 5-10 seconds to cancel and close.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now open the Iray manager and close it - No changes

Re-render: Total frame time 2:30 and 1480 iterations (1:30 to bake env.)

Re-render again but cancel as env. baking starts. It gives me the spinny circle and says not responding for around 1:30 and then starts working again.

Let me know what happens with you.

Thanks
Jason
Dell Precision 5600 - Dual Xeon 6-Core / 2.0Ghz / Hyper 24 cores / 16 gig ECC Ram / 250 gig SSHD / Dual Nvidia Quadro 4000 / Win 7 64bit
Message 3 of 5

Anyone try this? Only takes 5 minutes. Please!!!

Thanks
Jason
Message 4 of 5
VishnuR
in reply to: JasonMartinIndy

Hi Jason,

I tried and yes getting similar results.

Installed  irayManager in 3ds Max 2015 and get following results:

1-scene renders slower after the install. I noticed it right away after pressing f9
2-With IrayManager opened,  if i click cancel the render,  it freezes 3ds Max.

This definitely did not happen prior to installing  irayManagerV3 a few minutes ago.

So its not just on your computer.

Best Regards

VR

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 5 of 5
hartmann
in reply to: VishnuR

Hi

i will test it, but i don´t understand the different between SP2 and SP3. I have no change the code. I will see what the problem is. Sometime cange Autodesk the default Settings, and no body knows it. 🙂 The Big benefit  in Iraymanager is, that you can adjust the Resolution and Samples. Important Iray need min. 256 Environment Resolution. Iray Manager has as default 2048, too HIGH, change this to 256!

cheers

thorsten

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report