Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backburner variations in output

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
paulharwood4304
723 Views, 8 Replies

Backburner variations in output

Hello

I have set up a render famr using all Pc's aroud the office. All are 64bit 16gb ram 8cpu's. All 3ds 2014 with backburner 2014. all on windows 7

When rendering with backburner all computers render, problem is there is differences with the output. Some images are lighter than others. it is a small change but very obvisous when combined for video. 

i have seen several post regarding gamma file output, i have played with all those settings.

the only similarity i have found is that computers with a slightly newer graphics cards, NVIDIA Quadro K2000 produce differnet vaiations to those with NVIDIA Quadro FX1800.

the more i read the more i find that this is the case as render slaves dont need a graphics card!

Image difference attached

Help!!!

Paul

Xeon(R) E5-1620 @ 3.70GHz (8cpus), 64gb RAM, Quadro K5000 Driver 9.18.13.3221
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Not certain, but this may be related to this thread.
Either way, this is a rendering issue so I've moved the thread to the rendering forum for you.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 9

If the issue was due to gamma there would be a much larger difference in the renders. I'm wondering if it's maybe due to differences in the Final Gather map.

-Are you using Final Gather? Is it set to save the FG map to a file?

-If you are using Final Gather, try using the suggestion I made in this thread (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Shading-Lighting-and-Rendering/Network-Renders-and-Final-Gather-map/td...). If anything it's a good way to save render time as you won't have to calulate FG for everyframe.

Ben Bisares
Message 4 of 9

Ben

i have actually disabled the FG map as i read on a post that this could be the cause.

Thanks

Paul

Message 5 of 9
jeff
in reply to: paulharwood4304

We can be pretty sure it's not gamma: the sky does not change. Also, it looks like the edges (or alpha edges) of the trees differ as well. If you are not using FG (Final Gather) or the Light Tracer, the best approach is "divide and conquer": Try a small batch of frames with just the road, then just the trees, etc. If you can do a clean render, then try combinations, and see if there is some geometry/light interaction causing the difference. The classic way is to hide 1/2 the objects, see if there is a problem. If not, hide the other 1/2, and keep dividing the number of objects rendered by 1/2. It's tedious, but a fairly efficient way to narrow down the problem geometry. IF it is geometry. You might want to start with a similar approch, but with lights. Use 1/2 the lights. OR: if you only have a sun system, try a spotlight or omni light instead for a render. We don't care what it looks like (yet), just want to determine the source of the issue.
All that being said: I would suspect a Sunlight System if that's what you're using. I avoid them entirely, nothing but grief from my experience. Instead, I use either a Spotlight or MR Spotlight moderately far away, with "overshoot" on. With overshoot, you only need the light cone to cover where you want shadows rendered. You might prefer a Directional light instead. Either one is worth trying. And you don't need to put it at a "scale" distance! Usually, 2000 to 10,000 units is plenty far away to look right.
Hope it helps...

Max since 1992 (3d Studio) · Win 10-64 · Wintel workstation · 64 GB RAM · nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 · BB render garden via Deadline
Message 6 of 9

I have tried each individual xref i have used for the scene in all combinations, the output effects all of them. I have tried merging all xrefs to the same result.

I have tried each variation in light source as suggested, i have used no lights and no environment map, all to the same variation in result. 

I have not tried a brand new scene, a very basic teapot on a plane and spot light, no materials added, i get the same output via backburner.

Next, a brand new scene, xref 2 of my scenes in and i get a variation in output.

so back to the teapot, add basic Arc-design material, no variation

Add bitmap materials to the teapot and i get a variation!!! (my scene is bitmap heavy).

does this sound like the problem?

Thanks

Message 7 of 9

Sorry typo on last post

I have tried each individual xref i have used for the scene in all combinations, the output effects all of them. I have tried merging all xrefs to the same result.

I have tried each variation in light source as suggested, i have used no lights and no environment map, all to the same variation in result. 

I have not tried a brand new scene, a very basic teapot on a plane and spot light, no materials added, i get the same output via backburner.

Next, a brand new scene, xref 2 of my scenes in and i get a variation in output.

so back to the teapot, add basic Arc-design material, no variation

Add bitmap materials to the teapot and i get a variation!!! (my scene is bitmap heavy).

does this sound like the problem? 

Thanks

Message 8 of 9
jeff
in reply to: paulharwood4304

Well, you're getting closer! So, it seems that it's an issue with reading bitmaps. I'm only taking a guess here, but you could try:

On your local maching, navigate to [C:\Users\YourAcct]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2014\ and find the "3dsmax.ini" file.

Copy this to the network machines in the appropriate location, i.e., overwrite the init file that is there. Well, be reasonable: re-name the exisiting slave *.ini file, then copy the local file to the remote machine(s). You can try it on one or two machines first to see if it makes a difference.

At least you can test with a simple bitmap-on-a-teapot scene.

And, maybe someone else has more advice on bitmap input variations...

-Jeff

Max since 1992 (3d Studio) · Win 10-64 · Wintel workstation · 64 GB RAM · nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 · BB render garden via Deadline
Message 9 of 9
yvesadam4016
in reply to: jeff

for completing sake, I'll post this here as well as it looks like it's the same issue.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/shading-lighting-and-rendering/backburner-gamma-2-2-no-gamma-correctio...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report