Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backburner - remote servers remain 'idle'

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cakemonitor
1425 Views, 3 Replies

Backburner - remote servers remain 'idle'

Hi,

I'm trying to help a colleague set up backburner so that other PCs in our office can assist with his renders. Only his PC has 3DS Max 2014 installed (currently a trial version), and on another two PCs I've installed Backburner 2014 from here: http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/backburner2014.0.0_1635.zip  (I assume I don't need full-blown copies of 3DS Max taking up space on every PC in the office if they're only going to be render slaves?)

I've followed this autodesk documentation and I've run the Manager on my PC and also three copies of the Server on 1) my PC, 2) the 3DS Max user's PC and 3) one other PC in the office. (Idealy I'd like the Manager to run from his PC, but if I do that it reports errors of "ERR Could not bind private multicast socket on 'eth0' / 'lo' ... An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.")

When he clicks "Submit To Network Rendering..." in the Network Job Assignment window only his PC appearrs in the server list - but if I run the Backburner Monitor on my PC all three servers are listed. When he starts the job his PC does all the procesing and the Monitor shows that the other two Servers remain idle.

Thanks for any advice on how this can be fixed 🙂

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: cakemonitor

Sorry, but if you expect to render across the network then every machine needs a full copy of Max installed. Same version, same service packs, same plugins. The "render nodes" do NOT need to be licensed, if that is a concern.

Backburner is not a renderer - it is merely a scheduling mechanism for sending render jobs to different machines for them to do the rendering.

I must also point out that the trial version is just that - a trial to see if the s/ware suits your needs. The trial license does not permit its use commercially in any way.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
cakemonitor
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Ok, thank you. I'll try installing it on more PCs around the office.

Any idea about the private multicast socket / access permissions error that we were seeing?

Message 4 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: cakemonitor

Sorry, no - I don't use BB at all. There are some documents here for troubleshooting BB.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report