Announcements
The Scaleform forum is now read-only. Please head to the Gamedev site for product support.
Scaleform Forum (Read Only)
Scaleform enables developers to leverage the power of the Adobe® Flash® tool set to create powerful user interface environments for video games.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity standalone build on Windows 8.1 x64 laptop issues

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
egenfeldt
737 Views, 4 Replies

Unity standalone build on Windows 8.1 x64 laptop issues

Hello Autodesk community.

My name is Kasper. I am working for a company using Scaleform in a Unity game for PC. We have just bought a new Asus laptop for demonstration purposes but are having some trouble running a standalone build. The build has worked fine on several other PC's including Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64 desktops.

The problem is that Scaleform is not being rendered correctly. It seems like the various elements have lost their transparency. The font is also not being shown correctly. That is until a short animation plays at which point it does show up but also appear to have transparency issues.

Please see these images:

At start: http://i.imgur.com/D7ggxNa.jpg

After an animation plays: http://i.imgur.com/WPPJqvE.jpg

Unfortunately I do not know anything about Scaleform (our Scaleform developer just went on paternity leave) so I have never seen anythig like this before. What I am hoping for is that the problem is with some dependency that has not been installed. Working under that assumption these are the steps I have taken:

1) Ensure DLL's are in the Plugin folder

2) Update graphics drivers

3) Install latest DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer. Found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

4) Update Flash

If you have any clue what so ever what could be causing this issue I would very much like to hear it. Keep in mind this same build runs just fine on other similar systems.

Regards

Kasper Jensen

The laptop:

ASUS ROG G750JZ

Windows 8.1 preinstalled

Intel I7 @ 2.5GHz

32GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 880M

EDIT: By pure coincidence I discover another clue immediately after posting this. By running the build in a window (as opposed to fullscreen mode) and then resizing the window the issues disappear and it returns to normal. Still this is not exactly a viable solution.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
RichMC
in reply to: egenfeldt

Greetings, Have you found a fix beyond the workaround you have here? I will forward the post to development.

Richard Mc
Autodesk Gameware
Scaleform Division
Message 3 of 5
adam.petrone
in reply to: RichMC

This sounds like a weird issue with the depth stencil buffer. Resizing the window causes the backbuffer and depth/stencil buffers to be re-created, presumably correctly, by Unity.

Do you know which version of Unity you are running? 4.5.x ?

Do you know which version of the Scaleform Plugin this is running? (difficult to determine unless you check with your developers)

Is this running with Direct3D9 or Direct3D11 ?

Message 4 of 5
egenfeldt
in reply to: adam.petrone

Thank you for the reply.

Resetting the laptop to factory settings and reinstalling all software have resolved the issue for us. This time at least.

Since we haven't been able to reproduce the fault (frankly we've been actively trying not to) I'm not sure if you still want to look into the issue. Regardless here's the versions we were using:

Unity: 4.5.3f3

Scaleform: According to our in-house "expert" we are using the version from March 2014

Dx: DirectX3D9, latest DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer version as of time of first post.

I hope that is of at least some help.

- Kasper

Message 5 of 5
videep
in reply to: egenfeldt

Hi Kasper,

I really am looking forward to build an x86_64 bit build. Can you please tell me if you have a full version of scaleform?

And in the full version, does scaleform come with two dlls(one for x86 and one for x64)?

Where are you placing the dlls of scaleform in the plugin folder?

I really want to try out scaleform and have downloaded the evaluation version. But it works well in 32 bit build and editor and does not work at all in the x86_64 build.

I am making the build on a windows platform.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Videep

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report