Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Bolt Definition in ASTM_MET

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
klaus.stroehl
966 Views, 12 Replies

Wrong Bolt Definition in ASTM_MET

Hi, when I set the Bolt-Definition to the Australian metric standard, I do only get imperial Bolts in my project. I guess there is something wrong. I tried it with several different installations of RSA and all the same problem. Even after restart and with new project.

Is there anyone out there to confirm this? Also, is there an option to edit the definitions myself in some sort of XML file?

Thanks very much for any help.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

metric bolts.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 13

Hi Artur, that was quick. But in my Robot (and several others) this "ASTM_MET" does not have metric units. Could you please doublecheck whether your Steel-connection dialogue offers you metric bolts when you have the ASTM_MET activated?
Thanks again,
Klaus
Message 4 of 13

I forgot to mention, that you have to restart Robot to get the changes in the definitions to apply.
Message 5 of 13

You are right. This is not the database I use daily Smiley Happy

The other option is to try to edit it.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 13

Thanks Artur, that's a great guide (from the first glimpse I had)! I'll give it a try...

Your helpful and prompt support is very much appreciated.

Message 7 of 13

Klaus,

Could you give me to the link to the ASTM metric bolt specification please? Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 13

Hi Artur,

I would if I could! I might be able to get access at the end of this week (maybe not). I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I'm concerned the material definitions of the Imperial Australian Bolts should be the same as the Metric ones. After studying the XML-Files, you would only really need the sizes/dimensions of the different bolts that we use in Australia. Is that right?

However, I could possibly get you some German definitions quickly 🙂

Is there anybody else watching who is familiar with ASTM A325M, ASTM F568M and ASTM A490 to bring light into this dark corner here?

Thanks, Klaus

Message 9 of 13

After studying the XML-Files, you would only really need the sizes/dimensions of the different bolts that we use in Australia. Is that right?

Yes, sizes and materials if different than the ones used in the ASTM bolt database already available in Robot.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 13

That means that we need both, Material and sizes, as material definitions in the current (wrong) ASTM MET file are derived from the Imperial material definitions...
Message 11 of 13

Hi Artur,

sorry, couldn't get the perfect link yet. However, the standards are officially only available via this link:

http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?productID=355940

It is claiming that the "AS/NZS 1110.2-2000", which is (as far as I'm concerned) the most recent standard in Australia, is identical to ISO 4017:1999.

http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?productID=301834

I hope this will help....

Message 12 of 13

is identical to ISO 4017:1999.

In such case what about using ISO4017 instead? Is that some issue with materials (resistance)?

ISO4017.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 13 of 13

I guess you are right!

The AS 1110 is referring to ISO 898 for material definition. It should be the same with EN 4017.

If that's the case (please speak up if anyone disagrees), we can use the implemented standard EN-ISO 4017 for our Aussie-Bolts.

Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report