Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIND LOADS GENERATION

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
StefanoPasquini6790
6912 Views, 15 Replies

WIND LOADS GENERATION

Hi everyone, I have a lot of doubt in "wind loads generation". I've read the validation document and I find it very very clear.

Well, I'm starting with the design of an high-rise steel building (15 stories) located in Algeria, on top of a falesia, so the wind analysis absolutely fundamental.

The plant of the building is not mentioned in the type of structure in the code then I need to evaluate the behaviour of the building with the cfd analysis.

First question:
How can I count the pressure coefficient, specially Cpi?

Second question:
How can I define correctly the velocity factor for the wind. Let me explain:

In the Algerian code (and it's the same in the Italian one and in the Eurocode...) I have a the exposition coefficient curve [Ce(z)] that depend by the rugosity coefficient [Cr(z)] and the topographic coefficient [Ct(z)] and the z value. Often, for high rise building the top value of Ce(z) is higher than 3 that is the maximum value that can be choosen in the velocity factor definition.

In the same code I have also the opportunity to define the average velocity curve Vm(z) then, which of the two curves I have to define into Robot?? The following file show the couple of curves and the relative data: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouqd7cbya5dq42b/calcolo%20vento.xlsx

The attached file is the model of the external claddings that describe the shape of the building, as you can see in the following pic when I run the wind load calculation I have an error message and the load generation will stop. What is the issue in my model???

Screenshot 2.jpg

Screenshot 1.jpg

I'm sorry if my questions are banal, but after some calculation and comparison with the theoretical pressure I can't find the right way to use this amazing tool. When you show this tool to the costumers, they are absolutely shocked!!!

file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nyckilvok3m9s5/Analisi%20Preliminare%20solaio_CFD.zip

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Structural + Detailing engineers
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

I do not know if it is suitable for you  but workaround for now : Reset wind profile -> one coeff 1.0 for whole heigth for sure  works

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 16

HI,

my question is: How do they do in the validation procedure for high-rise building posted last week on Linkedin by Brian Frank??

And the wind curve to use???

Thanks

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 4 of 16
Message 5 of 16

Yes, I read it and I very much appreciated.

I have to do the same for my building.

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 6 of 16

Workaround:

wsfactorworkaround.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 16

Great great great....

the issue was the velocity curve too near to the "3" limit, as you suggested I've defined an higher reference velocity and I've reduced the curve.

Well, now I've two question again:

1) Is there the opportunity to define the curve using the excel table instead of graphical definition??? This is a boring tool, it will be wonderful in the curve can be defined as in the TH function...

2) wich is the right curve for velocity???

Greatings.

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 8 of 16

1) Is there the opportunity to define the curve using the excel table instead of graphical definition??? This is a boring tool, it will be wonderful in the curve can be defined as in the TH function...

I will register it as improvement request.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 16

Good Morning,

I'm going on with the reliability of the wind tunnel in Robot, specially for the determination of the right curve to use for calculation and to define which code parameters to use to have a wind simulation similar to code loading.

In this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/870s38bn5o3zsdz/AADZ8NZlVYWvVw1gD53eWRB8a you can find an example made using the Algerian code that (file Excel with the wind property, robot model with geometry and loads and part of the code with the example made), in the annexes, have any example and reference values.

I found that the sum of forces in X direction is very close to the code ones, it happened something strange in the Z direction!!!! Example says that the sum of the value is about 90 KN, in Robot I have 1022 KN???? What's wrong???

I have one more question: When I made a wind load generation, I have to select only the panels that define the edge of the structural model or I have to select the whole structure (panels and bars???)

Thank in advance for your commitment, greetings.

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 10 of 16

When I made a wind load generation, I have to select only the panels that define the edge of the structural model or I have to select the whole structure (panels and bars???)

Theoretically it does not matter but more realistic behavior is when you use claddings only ( 615to1814 ) in  this case.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 11 of 16

it happened something strange in the Z direction!!!! Example says that the sum of the value is about 90 KN, in Robot I have 1022 KN???? What's wrong???

According to 2D wind generation (one bay) Wind Simulation in 3D behavior is correct.

See below.

batwind2d.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 12 of 16

Hi Artur, can you send me your model with wind genration?

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 13 of 16

Here you are.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 14 of 16

Thanks a lot....as always.

Greetings

PasProStudio

www.pasquiniprogetti.eu

Message 15 of 16

Hello Stefano,

could you please repost the attached item? I am stuggling with wind load simulation and I would find it really useful.

Thank you in advance.

Message 16 of 16

Hello Stefano,

could you please repost the attached item? I am stuggling with wind load simulation and I would find it really useful.

Thank you in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report