Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind load analysis for PV arrays

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
CooChan
931 Views, 10 Replies

Wind load analysis for PV arrays

Hi

I'm a starter structural engineer, and I'm trying to analyse the wind load for PV arrays, which will be mounted on an open steel structure from the sides and flatly full covered roof by the solar modules (the roof area is about 680 m2),

I want to get the wind pressure on the roof manually using ASCE 07 after distributing the columns and beams, and since I'm a starter I don't know from where and how to begin,

so your help is needed here our engineers, I'll be very thankful in advance for your help.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
HoshangMustafa
in reply to: CooChan

Hi

If I'm not misanderstanding the roof is flat. If the case is such that then wind load will not be distributed on the roof.

Please notify me if I'm not correct.

Message 3 of 11
CooChan
in reply to: HoshangMustafa

Hi.

yes the roof is flat.

this steel structure will be founded on a stadium (which is no longer be used as a stadium),

first I have to design a steel frame, and then the PV modules will cover all the roof,

and the point which I need help for is how can I find the wind pressure acting on my structure???? specially the roof, because the uplifting forces on the panels will be high!

Note: all sides should stay open (will not be closed) and only the roof will be closed by PV modules

Message 4 of 11
HoshangMustafa

Hi

Is the roof of the steel structure is flat?

Message 5 of 11
CooChan

yes, it's flat

Message 6 of 11
HoshangMustafa

Hi

If the roof is flat, then wind load will not be distributed over there. It will be distributed on the sides.

Message 7 of 11
CooChan

sorry, but I can't understand,

the required from me is to design a steel structure that will prevent the uplifting of the PV modules,

the structure is frame, and the PV's will be attached into the roof beams of the frame,

so can you please explain the distributoion of the wind  pressure on the structure and PV's???

I'm really a stater structural engineer, I'll e very thankful for you 🙂

Message 8 of 11
HoshangMustafa

Hi

I'm afraid I'm misunderstanding. Could you send a sketch or a drawing?

Message 9 of 11
CooChan

Here is a sketch of the steel structure untitled.JPG

in the long direction there will be Aluminum rails to attach the panels using clamps

Message 10 of 11
HoshangMustafa

Hi

Can you post the DWG (AutoCAD Drawing)?

I wonder whether there is a gap between the PV and the roof of the steel structure or not. If there is a gap, the situation will be a matter of fluid mechanics (drag force around body due to flow of air).

Message 11 of 11
CooChan

Hi,

yes, there's a gap, and here is an AutoCAD drawing of the mounting structure,

and If it's as you said a matter of fluid mechanics, doesn't there anyway to get the wind pressure as member forces???

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report