Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

welded truss node connection

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dimogrec
1381 Views, 2 Replies

welded truss node connection

Hello,

I have a T truss connection with only a bending moment of 5KNm applied on the post.

The post is an RHS 100X80X5 and the chord is a SHS100X5

1) How does Robot verify the capacity of weld in this case (I tried to read the documentation here http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-561050AE-712E-4D27-8168-AD06BBD657D-1075.htm  but honestly I got lost with all these components Smiley Frustrated )

2) Is "a" the throat thickness of a weld (as described in EC3 1-8 $4.5.2) , the height of the (largest) triangle?

3) Could you explain me the difference of longitudinal and traversal weld (if I'm right longitudinal weld is the one (or two) that has direction parallel to the axes of the chord and transversal weld the weld that is directed perpendicularly to the axes of the chord). If I'm right with this, shouldn't Robot take into account the transversal weld (for bending moment) instead of checking only the longitudinal weld? I mean I have a peripheral weld or not?

4) With manual calculation (of a peripheral weld) the weld capacity is easily satisfied

In the zip you'll find rtd file of the connection and hand calculation of weld.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: dimogrec

2) Is "a" the throat thickness of a weld (as described in EC3 1-8 $4.5.2) , the height of the (largest) triangle?

height of the (largest) triangle

The rest will be checked on Monday

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 3
dimogrec
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Thanks for the reply Rafal

After reading also this http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-7D953AA2-D6C2-4646-A5FA-A038367FE76-1074.htm  I conclude that Robot assumes the effective length of the weld as described in Cidect. Am I right?

(I also found the answer for question 3 in the help page)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report