Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walls automatic division

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
igos
846 Views, 6 Replies

Walls automatic division

Hello everyone, 

I have the following question (trouble). I have a lot of vertical panels (can name it "walls") which one intersect each other, but doesn't divided in intersection lines (please, see attached image). Of course, in process of meshing I have obtained situation, when there are no common nodes in intersection lines of "walls", thus they are independent from each other.

So, have I any chance to split (divide) them automatically in iintersection to obtain common calculation nodes in lines? Any of program function (magic Rafal's macros/script) exist for this task?

To make thing clearer, I have to say, that the whole task is to calculate waffle slab of quite irregular shape with shell elements. So, I have choose the technology: RST -> RSA. But slab has a lot of elements and right now I'm in process of selecting variants (cell dimensions and other), so manual dividing in both of RSA and RST is appropriate way...

Thank you in advance!

https://ru.linkedin.com/in/igor-saltykov-8a68b726
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Refaat
in reply to: igos

The inersection option can help to divide the panels , to get nodes at intersection lines .

as well take care for meshing option , i supposed to use (Element size ) instead of (Automatic or User) to generat the FE .

Also , you can use( Strucutral elements ) option to represent the walls , then automatically you will get nodes at intersection lines.

Thanks

Refaat

Message 3 of 7
igos
in reply to: Refaat

Hello, Refaat, thanks for your reply,

>The inersection option can help to divide the panels , to get nodes at intersection lines .

Yes, but only on the top and the bottom of the wall. Nodes in the middle zone will independent from each other.

>as well take care for meshing option , i supposed to use (Element size ) instead of (Automatic or User) to generat the FE .

Sure, but in my general case (not one that shown on pic - its only exmaple) the slab and walls have irregular shape, so it doesn't work.

>Also , you can use( Strucutral elements ) option to represent the walls , then automatically you will get nodes at intersection lines.

Sorry, I didn't catch what you mean

Message 4 of 7
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: igos

Try to define lines at the intersections of the panels (you can define one and the copy it by translation too) and then mesh them.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 7
Refaat
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi igos

Beside Mr.Arthur's suggestion ,please see the attached .

Thanks

Refaat

Message 6 of 7
igos
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hello all,

I'm sorry for late response - thank you a lot for useful advices!

I have used Artur's method for meshing; anyway - can this option (automatic division/generating nodes on intesection line) be added to wishlist? The reason is a lot of engineers using Revit for preprocessing and you haven't split walls in intersection in Revit. So, I think this option can be useful in RSA.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7

Hi Igos I have been looking for a way to model, design and analyse waffle slab in Revit/Robot.

Can you tell me if you find a way of doing this? If yes, how are you doing?

Thanks

Gustavo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report