Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Tension / Compression Only Members

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
StuartRogers
3747 Views, 9 Replies

View Tension / Compression Only Members

Hi,

I'm in the process of checking some ROBOT models. These models may or may not include tension only or conpression only members.

Is there a way to show these members in the view window? or another way to check whether they have been used?

I have found a way to view 'truss' members (Selection -> Bars -> Advanced -> Truss), this highlights the 'truss' members. Is there a way to do the same for 'tension only' or 'compression only' members?

I have tried the help documentation and seaching here, but haven't had any luck yet.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Stuart

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

See the attached picture.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 10

Great! Thanks Artur

Message 4 of 10

Hi,

One question about truss and compression/tension bars: when i use them it seems that no bending moment appears in the current bar, but what are the terms of the ends in such bar? Does it use releases on the ends automatically?

Message 5 of 10

No, this is a special typ bar element with no rotational d.o.fs.

If you use releases on a standard bar you may have bending along its length despite the fact that there is no bending at its ends.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 10

So in some cases i need to use truss or compression/tension bar + releases at the ends?

Message 7 of 10

No, as the truss members have got no rotational d.o.fs you are not allowed to define releases for moments.

On the other hand you can define standard bar with such releases (it will act as a truss bar provided no load along its length is defined) and add unidirectional release along its length (tension/compression only action).

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 10

Hi, I tried to do that but when I chosse: selecstion>bars>advanced there is no more choises. How can I define some members as a tension members?

Thanks for help

Waleed Khalid
Message 9 of 10

See the attached picture.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 10

Thanks Smiley Happy

Waleed Khalid

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report