Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
wjrfd
552 Views, 3 Replies

-ve soil reactions

Good Afternoon!

I have assigned a steel bridge with pad foundations with a vertical soil stiffness assigned (Kz).  When I run the model however, the results map of the pad foundations show a -ve soil reaction, implying the soil is acting in tension. 

pic1.PNG

Is there a way to make sure any reactions are zero if in uplift?  I have tried ticking allowing selecting Uz+ when defining the Foundation elasticity, however seemingly to no avail!

pic2.PNG

Hope you can help!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: wjrfd

Have you ignored any instability warning and have you checked if the analysis converged?

uplift.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4
wjrfd
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hello Artur,

Thank you for the speedy reply.

There are indeed instability warnings. I get an instability in one of the mesh nodes in the pad foundation, however it is a type 3.  I was under the impression that this sort of instability usually occurs around rigid links due to stiffness differences?

I have applied line supports to ensure lateral stability (which you have applied i your model)

The analysis does not fully converge no, this seems to be associated with selecting the uplift as Uz+.

Message 4 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: wjrfd

The analysis does not fully converge

In such case the results cannot be correct.

You may try to change the method to Full Newton Raphson and check if this help. Otherwise you have to examine the model and find out why this happens.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report