Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsatisfactory Load Capacity of the Column

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
stroxy
3193 Views, 6 Replies

Unsatisfactory Load Capacity of the Column

According to the results I am not expecting to be seeing the "Unsatisfactory Load Capacity of the Column" message. Any reason why it could still be appearing?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: stroxy

Could you attach the file with this column please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 7

Large bi-directional shear for seismic combinations.

shear1.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 7
stroxy
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Error message still remains after manual modification of rebar to correct safety factor. See my earlier attachment.  

Message 5 of 7
Artur.Kosakowski

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. What have you modified: spcaing of the stirrups? The best seems to be the increase of a cross section of the column itself.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 7
stroxy
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Increased stirrup diameter in some cases and yes reduced stirrup spacing in others.  Your suggestion on increasing column dimension is however well noted ... but unfortunately  sometimes Architectural constraints determine how much column dimensions can be increased (the ever continuing saga between engineers and architects Man LOL)

Also, Sometimes when one increases column dimensions, then huge plastic moments capacity develops in the column thus making it more difficult to satisfy capacity design requirement in shear.

In  any case, I should expect the  error message to disappear once the safety ratios for the governing case is greater than 1 ... correct?

Message 7 of 7
Artur.Kosakowski

Yes, the error should no longer be displayed  when all (for each of defined seismic combinations) safety ratios for shear are above 1.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report