Discussion Groups

Robot Structural Analysis

Valued Contributor
mark.martin.se

Uniform planar load on contour

1439 Views, 9 Replies
05-19-2011 10:25 AM

Hi to everyone....

...I'm trying to apply a planar load on a cladding's local Z direction using the „Uniform planar load on contour“ command. Unfortunately the software  makes no difference between global and local coordinate system, basically the direction of the applied load is always according the global Z axis....See the attached screenshot!

Is there a real software problem or am I doing something wrong?

Any comments would be highly appreciated!

Regards!

Please use plain text.
Mentor
Rafacascudo

Re: Uniform planar load on contour

05-19-2011 12:06 PM in reply to: mark.martin.se
Yes, it is a bug if you choose (as you did) uniform or 3P load on CONTOUR. If the load applies to the whole panel ,then it works perfectly. So ,the workaround is (if you really need to apply the load on only a part of the area) dividing the area on 2 or more panels and use only the planar load applied to the whole panel. Rafael
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
mark.martin.se

05-19-2011 11:19 PM in reply to: mark.martin.se

Thank you! That's what I did,......hope someone of the RSA stuff will notice this thread and fix the bug!

Regards!

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

05-19-2011 11:30 PM in reply to: mark.martin.se

The load should be applied correctly and there is no need to divide a panel into parts. Mind that for such load type you should use another type of load display as shown on the attached picture. Make sure that you run model generation or calculate the file before displaying the loads. To check if the load is correctly applied verify the sum of the reactions – you should have horizontal reactions in addition to the vertical ones. I hope this clarifies this issue.

Regards,

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.
Mentor
Rafacascudo

05-20-2011 06:44 AM in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski
thx Artur. It would be great if the load could be displayed right without having to generate the model.Anyway ,the Help content from uniform load on contour already says exactly what you explained here. It´s great that now, in this official autodesk forum ,we can have a proper support!! thx again
Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

05-20-2011 07:03 AM in reply to: Rafacascudo

Rafacascudo wrote:
It would be great if the load could be displayed right without having to generate the model.

Due to the nature of this load this is not possible. At the stage you define the load the direction of the local Z axes of a panel is 'not known' yet. Only during the model generation this is 'checked' and the 'correct' direction of the load is determined. I think that we can agree that performing such check each time you define this kind of load may not be the functionality you would like to see especially for larger models, however I agree that this would be nice.

Regards,

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.
Mentor
Rafacascudo

05-20-2011 08:49 AM in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski
This " 'not known' yet " ,what does it mean? , cause as soon as you create a panel, the local axes are available and are displayed if you want to ,without generating the model.Couldn´t the load also be " correctly" displayed according to this " premature" local system?
Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

05-20-2011 09:15 AM in reply to: Rafacascudo

Rafacascudo wrote:
This " 'not known' yet " ,what does it mean? , cause as soon as you create a panel, the local axes are available and are displayed if you want to ,without generating the model.Couldn´t the load also be " correctly" displayed according to this " premature" local system?

This is not that simple. To display the load correctly the analysis of the panel geometry and detection of surface elements to which the load should be applied is required. This is what I refer to as the model generation. If you look at the attached picture you can see that the direction of the panel is a 'simplified' term which in fact should be replaced by the detection of local directions of each of surface elements being 'within' the load contour and this should be done for number of panels rather then a single one as the load contour can be defined 'outside' the model and projected in various directions.

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
mark.martin.se

05-22-2011 11:49 PM in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks for your help Artur!

Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
PatrickSt-Louis5310

Does the Bridge Autoloader modulus will to reappear a day ?

05-25-2011 02:36 PM in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Dear users of ARSA,

I am doing actually analysis on an existing continuous bridge truss, the challenge is consisting by replaced the existing deck by a new one wich will be post-tensioned. Doing it with ARSA would be grateful, by taking account of the possibility to models the built-up section of the different members by ourselves, and by the using of the inelegance line tool, but if we want to taking account of the lateral variation of the truck load, for the different lanes (4 in my case), we have to create 3 mobile axes in each lane load. The notion of lane load is prescribe by the AAHASTO LARD, and the CHBDC SO-06 even by the new EUROCODE.

Unfortunately the bridge Autoloader was discontinuous for the resents versions of Robot without any explanation of the technical team of ARSA, in my case I have to do the modeling in SAP 14.02 which taking account of the design and analysis parameters for multiple lanes in bridge structures.

If anyone could help me about this topic that will be grateful.

See the doc in attachment that I have sent to the Robot Staff since more than one year without receiving any answer.

Please use plain text.