Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding bending moment diagrams

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Kerdni
893 Views, 2 Replies

Understanding bending moment diagrams

Hi

I'm having some questions about understanding bending moments from panel cuts.

Background information:
I am designing a three span rigid frame concrete bridge that has a deck with variable depth. The bridge is modeled of concrete panels. Variable depth is achieved giving different thicknesses to the panels. Materials are chosen the same as they will be used in the capacity calculations.

Problem description:
Calculating a 3D model I get bending moments (MYY) at the intersection of the inner pier and the deck that are distributed as shown in picture_3D_1 and picture_3D_2.
picture_3D_1 - no smoothing is used
picture_3D_2 - global smoothing is used - this one does not seem right at all.

Calculating a 2D model I get bending moments (MYY) at the same location that are distributed as shown in picture_2D.

From picture_3D_1 the sum of moments is:3595,07-2499,31-670,67=425,09
From picture_2D the sum of moments is:546,98-288,07-258,91=0

Questions:
1. Shouldn't the sum of moments in the 3D model be 0 also?
2. If so, how the problem could be fixed?
3. If not, wich moments should I choose from the 3D model for determining the usage of rebars?

Link to the 3D model: http://we.tl/RQYsnQlk9I

Best regards.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Rafacascudo
in reply to: Kerdni

In this case (panel cuts) , results get a lot better as you refine your mesh. If you reduce your mesh from 0,50m to 0,25m, your 425 difference will go to half(212). If you reduce it to 0,05cm(only in the adjoining panels)  , it will go to only 42kn.m/m.

So it seems to be directly proportional.

Best results here were achieved  keeping 0,50m mesh for the other panels and for the panels at the intersection I defined them also with 0,50m(Delaunay) but with emitters at the intersection nodes. delaunay and Kang with H0=0,05cm

Difference went to 24kn.m/m

panel cuts emitters.jpg

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Kerdni
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Thank you! Problem solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report