Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning Off Model Generation

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
t.sautierr
531 Views, 8 Replies

Turning Off Model Generation

For some model as It can take time to generate the model,

actually I'd like to turn off the generation in the analysis type dialog box when I implement minor changes but I don't see precisely when it can be done?

what does exactly contains this step and when can we turn off this without troubles?

thx

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: t.sautierr
Message 3 of 9
t.sautierr
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

I have read all the posts, links, etc ...

To sum up all :

- Redo model generation for all changes except

-when it deals with global parameters which when there is a change can be taken into account as a scaling factor of the results (mass conversion factor, seimic accelaration for lateral forces method, ...)

-when it deals with checkings i presume

- don't use restart calculations 

Actually there very few situation where one can skip the model generation .....

Thx and have nice day.

Message 4 of 9
Rafal.Gaweda

Any changes in load to mass conversion -> Model Generation must be run

-when it deals with checkings i presume

?????????
If you update structure with new sections you have to run model generation

- don't use restart calculations
??????????

Rafal Gaweda
Message 5 of 9
t.sautierr

"-when it deals with checkings i presume" : 

If change the bar type or if I change the code for the checking, I don't need to redo model generation as I don't need to redo the calcs

Extract from tony's post :

Hi Tony,

if I run modal and don't get enough modes, 

Try Calculation Restart option.

Thanks Romanich, I have used this one before.

But it occured to me that if I had already unchecked the generate computation model that it might give an error.

So if I run modal and don't get enough modes, or want to change the direction factor in spectral, or change the factor in load to mass conversion, do I need to regenerate the computation model?

No.

I do not recomend such actions because in the meantime you can make changes in model and they will not be considered in calculation.

I was mixing ... actually you recommend to regenerate the model for the actions listed above, restart cals has nothing to do ... you only recommend to be sure to check regenerate the model even if using "restart calcs"

If you looking for me, I am having a big strong coffee ....my brain is foggy this morning ... 

Message 6 of 9
Rafal.Gaweda

"-when it deals with checkings i presume" : 

If change the bar type or if I change the code for the checking, I don't need to redo model generation as I don't need to redo the calcs

Not needed.

Extract from tony's post :

So if I run modal and don't get enough modes, or want to change the direction factor in spectral, or change the factor in load to mass conversion, do I need to regenerate the computation model?

No.

I do not recomend such actions because in the meantime you can make changes in model and they will not be considered in calculation.

IF you do not make any changes in model -> not needed in such case.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 9
tony.ridley

oh I am being quoted 🙂 exciting

Message 8 of 9
t.sautierr
in reply to: tony.ridley

😉
To conlude, actually there are few acse where you can turn off this ...
Maybe the most common case would be increasing the number of modes in big models without regenerating, no?
Message 9 of 9
Rafal.Gaweda

Any change in calculation options for any existing cases (except playing with load to mass conversion) is safe.
Also defining new cases in Calculation Option window (Modal, THA, Seismic, Spectral, etc) not requires model generation.

These are hints for EXPERIENCED users.
We do recommend to use Model Generation always.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report