Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timber design . Member definition, lateral buckling

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Hallvard
2086 Views, 5 Replies

Timber design . Member definition, lateral buckling

Hi 🙂

When defining timber members I need to define lateral bucling parameters. Lateral buckling length coeff and load level seems ok to me.

The "lateral buckling type" makes me wonder.... I can choose between "Beam with pinned supports" / "Beam with fixed supports" / "Cantilever" / "Without lateral bucling".

- A beam can be simply supported, but torsionally restrained at the supports. (If you use a u-bracket or a similar detail.) This beam will not be have pinned supports and not have fixed supports.

So my question: Does "Beam with fixed supports" in lateral bucklibng type definition apply to the beam I described?

( Even though it might be more precise to call it "Beam with torsionally restrained supports")

- Hallvard

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Hallvard

I will leave the decision which value of the lateral buckling coefficient (the unrestrained lateral buckling length) to use in your hands but I will try to explain how this value is calculated for different parameters defined within a member definition type.  This I hope will answer the 'Does "Beam with fixed supports" in lateral buckling type definition apply to the beam I described?' question Smiley Wink

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 6
Hallvard
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Perfect!

Maybe not what I asked for, but just what I needed Smiley Happy

If there is a training manual for RSA 2012 that provides that kind of information for all kinds of timber-elements I would really like a copy. As far as I know the training manual available is for RSA 2010, and does not contain info about timber.

Thanks

- Hallvard

Message 4 of 6
dyogoandre
in reply to: Hallvard

Hi,

I have some doubts about this subject. I can't understand what the equations that robot uses in the "effective length" calculation. I saw the image that you post in attachments but, in my situation, i have a simply supported beam with a uniform load applied above the neutral axis, and the "l,eff" is greater then L, and i think it isn't possible.

Anyone can help me?
Message 5 of 6

Could you attach the file with this beam please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 6

Hi Artur,

I already solved the design of timber members. However, I want to understand how robot calculates the leff in the project in attachments. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums