Discussion Groups

Robot Structural Analysis

koskinea

The correct way to join concrete column above concrete wall ?

506 Views, 4 Replies
12-28-2011 09:24 AM

I am wondering what is the correct way to join concrete column above concrete wall in concrete frame structure.

I made a model where concrete column starts from node which is the upper corner of concrete wall. There is no releases in this node. However the y-moment is about zero in this node. If I take only the upper part of the frame where there is no wall and start this column from fixed support, there is y-moment about -100kNm in this support node.

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite* | International Moderator
Romanich

Re: The correct way to join concrete column above concrete wall ?

12-28-2011 10:41 AM in reply to: koskinea

I recommend reading the book Finite Element Design of Concrete structures by G.A.Rombach

fig1.png

fig2.png

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

12-29-2011 03:54 AM in reply to: koskinea

If the situation is as on the Romanich's pictures (thank you) and My1 then depending on the panel to the frame stiffness you may see the difference in the results depending on the way you created the model but it should not be as large as you described it.

If the situation is as shown on the My2 picture then the results depend in much more degree on the frame to wall stiffness and the calculation model you assumed.

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

12-29-2011 05:54 AM in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

I have included additional models where the panels are replaced with equivalent bar elements. As you can see in the case of the out of plane bending the approach proposed by the reference book may be not as good as when you model a shear wall.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.
koskinea

12-29-2011 09:44 AM in reply to: koskinea

Thank You for answering so quickly. I used Your advice from the book and the frame / shear wall model seems to work allright now, compared to the frame model consisting only columns / beams / fixed supports.

I also just ordered the book and hope there is some more information about shear walls.

Please use plain text.