Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapered Section Capacity Check (AISC Code)

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
615 Views, 2 Replies

Tapered Section Capacity Check (AISC Code)

Good evening. I'm currently designing an industrial warehouse using Moment Resisting Frames with columns and beams that haver Tapered Sections (I/E variable web height). When i try to execute the capacity check for the members the following message pops up:

Tapp.PNG

I know the AISC code pretty well and I do believe there is no such thing as an Appendix F3, nor any A-F3-1. Could someone tell me where can i find this requirement?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

The reference is to LRFD 2000 from 27 Dec 1999

l1.jpg

My understanding is that ANSI?AISC does not provide any guidance for capacity of tapered sections against bending. In such situation Robot uses the provisions from LRDF instead.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Right... You do realize that code is from 14 years ago and is no longer valid. The AISC does provide some guidance to design such members on their Design Guide # 25, I thought that was the refference the program took to evaluate the capacity.

I really think Robot must get updated to the latest specifications, its really annoying that you have to calculate member capacities by hand or via a spreadsheet when the program should calculate them. You guys should consider these issues on future versions of Robot or on a service pack update.

Anyways thank you for your assistance, you solved my questioning.

Regards,

Ivan Franco

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report