Discussion Groups

Robot Structural Analysis

Casparov

T slab

3746 Views, 18 Replies
10-07-2011 08:13 AM

Hi

I'd like to compose a concrete slab with beams underneath: the beams are spanning between columns, and should work together with the slab.

What's the best way to implement this in Robot?

At the moment, I've defined a slab (let's say 250mm high), and beams (also 250mm high) with an offset so they "touch" the bottom of the slab with their upper part. The total build up will be 500mm. Is this correct, or is there a different method to define a slab with beams at predefined locations?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite* | International Moderator
Romanich

Re: T slab

10-07-2011 10:30 AM in reply to: Casparov

Hi,

was doing some comparisons, but in Russian. Take a look

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

10-10-2011 12:23 AM in reply to: Casparov

I would propose yet another approach that you may find useful especially in cases when you actually want to design a T shape beam in the RC Beam Design module after importing it from the model. In such case use of offsets that correctly 'model' stiffness of a slab cause existence of axial force that we usually don't want to 'see' while calculating reinforcement inside the beam (offset cause the bending to be replaces by set of the compression force in a 'flange' /panel/ and the tension force in 'web' /bar element/ or vice versa /span or over supports/). My approach is to model a rectangular beam ('web') with no offset but with artificially increased moment of inertia (see the attached picture - IY of rectangular beam multiplied by ratio of IY of  T shape beam / IY of rectangular beam). This approach causes 'increase' of bending in the beam (T shape beam effect) while no axial forcse in the beam being generated.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.
Contributor
LuisCRodrigues

10-10-2011 04:08 PM in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Artur,

In your example, you have increased the moment of inertia by a factor of 1,7.

When working in a model with a lot of different sections with a lot of different spans, what is your criteria?

Do you use the same factor for all the beams?

Do you use define a factor for each beam/span?

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

10-10-2011 11:59 PM in reply to: LuisCRodrigues

As I wrote I usually increase  IY of a rectangular beam multiplying it by the ratio of IY of  T shape beam / IY of rectangular beam. 1.7 is just the sample value I typed; could be 2.3 or 1.5.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
PatrickSt-Louis5310

Re : T slab

03-27-2013 12:35 PM in reply to: Casparov

OK if I undestand it well,

by doing that this way the user can design this transformored fictiv section with the T-Beam module design in ARSA ?

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Rafal.Gaweda

Re : T slab

03-28-2013 12:59 AM in reply to: PatrickSt-Louis5310

Exactly

Rafal Gaweda
Please use plain text.
chikaokekeokeke

03-28-2013 03:31 PM in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Dear Artur

Pls can you refer me to the litrature backing up your solution to your post in 10-10-2011 12:23 

I am solving similar problem with continous reinforced beam with T and L-beam interaction with slab

also considering that when there is a negative moment at the support I dont want the T-L-beam advantage according to Eurocode

Please use plain text.
Product Support
Artur.Kosakowski

04-03-2013 12:26 AM in reply to: chikaokekeokeke

This is the approach I found as best matching the situation however I don't know if it is described somewhere. For your case you can divide the beam into 3 parts and increase Iy for the middle one only leaving the parts close to supports 'as they are'.

Artur Kosakowski
Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
Tuctas

04-05-2013 06:54 AM in reply to: chikaokekeokeke

The dispositions of Eurocode that you are referring to, concern the design of T beams not the analysis. In analysis the effective area of slab is along the member. In design, the effective area concerns indeed the case that the compression due to bending acts on that.    

Please use plain text.